webuyanycar.com

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

asterix

Comrade Member
I got rid of my car to the dealer I bought the next old banger off. I warned him about the persistent electrical problem no-one could fix but he said it was going to auction and as long as the sunshine roof worked he didn't care. Why would you want a sunshine roof in the UK? You'd only get wet.

buddha

Veteran
It took me a while to work out that the bloke in their advert, from Northern Ireland, wasn't saying "furred eel" but "fair deal".:scratch:

NotthatJasonKenny

Faster on HFLC
I should point out that's no reflection on any particular organisation but about the way used car dealers make their money.

Yeah not a slur on them, just EVERY dealer out there!

It is our job to buy yours as low as possible and sell it as high as possible...just the same as it is in every industry BUT not all use stupid tricks as you describe.

I will always offer a fair price, after all, I can only profit from it if I buy it in the first place!

Norm

It is our job to buy yours as low as possible and sell it as high as possible...just the same as it is in every industry BUT not all use stupid tricks as you describe.
Of course it's your job, and nothing I wrote was a stupid trick. Nothing which isn't done by buyers and sellers all over the world, from car dealers to double glazing to supermarkets to almost any retailer you want to name. Some consumers are aware of it, some aren't, it doesn't make it a stupid trick, it makes it the way of the western world in the early 21st century.

Mike5537

I used them a few years ago, got an ok price online then they knocked money off for a few scratches which I had already declared and then there is the paperwork cost which they took off the offer too. I was not happy but like an above post said they are in the middle of no where so after all the hassle of going there you just say sod it and take the money. I did take the tax disc tho because I was so angry, the guy seemed annoyed by it but I think he wanted the deal enough to not argue about it. Won't be doing it again, best quote I heard was: you want top know the true value of your car? Go to we buy any car dot com and then multiply three offer by 3. :biggrin:

Life is good.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace

FWIW the site in our town is approx. one mile from the town centre and on a major bus route.

So hardly in the middle of nowhere in our case.

PS: I am not affiliated to them in anyway, and FWIW I wouldn't use them, but I'm just pointing out that they are clearly not all in the back of beyond.

Norm

You don't think that's an awful practise?
Yes, I do, which is why I posted to make people aware of the potential. But an awful practice (or awful practise if you prefer) is not the same as a stupid trick.

FWIW the site in our town is approx. one mile from the town centre and on a major bus route.

So hardly in the middle of nowhere in our case.
Excellent. Although the point I was making remains that they get you to their premises, usually with a friend, and you can't be bothered to drive away when they take an extra few hundred off the price.

buggi

Bird Saviour
i used them to when i was desperate to sell my car (i'd been trying to sell it for a while at height of recession) and, as said, they give you a valuation on line and, even though i was honest about the condition, they really went to town on every tiny mark to knock me down on the price they'd already quoted. i would say, it is a safe way of selling but only do it as a last resort and when you get there really stand your ground if they try to knock you down, act like you'd be prepared to walk away. they offered me about £1000 less than they quoted on line and we settled on £500 less coz i said i wouldn't take less.

I got offered £100 for our old car, which to be fair to them was a 10 year old Suzuki Swift

less £70 paperwork and fees,

and then he went and knocked another £50 off the price, took him a while to twig that he was now asking me to pay him to take the car off my hands

we even had the debate about he needed to keep the road tax (i'd taken the disc out before going in) to which I responded fine but I was keeping the VED, which strangely he was ok with :s

soulful dog

Veteran
Like any other scheme,they will drag you in with a whopping price on line price.Then get you in and mark it down down and down.Be careful don't give it away.We got shut of a small car a few years ago not these,but another well known company.They even noticed the rubber seal around the screen was short it never leaked.So watch out.
This is exactly what they did with my car. Marked it down because it had been resprayed in a couple of places (2 minor bumps were mine, both when the car was stationary, but they insisted the paint was thin in another area of the car too), and because two of the tyres were a bit worn. I refused their offer and the guy made a big palaver of phoning his boss to see what they could do, I still ended up refusing their offer as eventually would only beat the part-exchange price I had been offered by £50, so just not worth it.

Afterwards I spoke to someone who said they'd have told me to not waste my time as they'd taken a relatively new car in and had the same kind of issues with it being marked down for little things.

Still worth trying though, just as long as you go along with your car knowing that it's very unlikely they will match the original online offer and are happy with that for the fairly hassle-free process.

Top Bottom