webuyanycar.com

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davidc

Guru
Interesting thread.

I've sold a number of cars at auction and have always got more than any dealer has offered.

I have to say though that I generally buy cars new or nearly so, then run them for at least 200,000 miles or 15 years.

(The last one I sold at auction was a Peugeot 505 diesel estate bought new in 1983. Sold with 225,000 miles on the clock in 1998 having been mine, then my wife's car. In both cases it was used heavily for work, and was still working well but it had developed rattles. We got £995 less auction charges for it. The best offer from a dealer was £100 as a part exchange)

screenman

Legendary Member
I fix small dents I teach people to do the same, now one persons idea of a small dent is different to anther's. One thing we have seen on here goes something like" cannot be bothered" well the person doing the buying is doing the bothering and deserve paying for it.

I used to have a couple of car sites down south, and the poor description of a private punters car was often laughable. Long M.O.T, but they cannot find it, low mileage yes but since you have owned it for the last 2 years how come it has done less miles than when you bought it according to the invoice you are showing us for how much you paid for it. 2001 and you cannot find the logbook, the handbook in your glove compartment says 2000. Slight dent on front wing since when was the 2 doors and the rear1/4 part of the front wing. The list goes on.

As with anything there is good and bad all around, it is very seldom you will get paid the most for doing the least.

Would I use them? no but with 40 years of motor trade experience I like to make a profit and I am prepared to do the work to make a profit, where as some people.

NotthatJasonKenny

Faster on HFLC
It's worth remembering that the public set the prices for all cars in that there is a limit to what they will pay for a make or model. Also, if you wouldn't want to buy a car with a dent/scratch/rip/paint repair then don't moan when you get offered less for it. If the public/buyers didn't mind, the trade wouldn't either. As well, never forget that in at least 80% of cases whether it be px or purchase, the private seller is moving a car on because there is something they don't want to fix or live with. Yes, they are going to profit from you, that's how they make their living and despite what some may think, it's no more than a postman, refuse collector or any other average earner.

The crux of it is, if you want the best price, sell it private.

screenman

Legendary Member
Vernon, you are in all my 20 years of asking that question the first person to say given the choice they would possibly buy the dented one.

But if you can get ripped off by traders and joe public offering stupid money anyway, even if you get the AutoTrader guide price, their money's as good as anyone elses.

We looked at a Citroen main dealer as they had a good deal.

However the deal turned out to be good on paper, but identical to the under valuation of the car.

When we pointed out that even in poor condition (as opposed to our cared for low mileage model) they werre still £800 under the wire.

So we arranged an appointment one Saturday morning and took in all the valuations for other companies and spent quite some time in a crowded showroom asking loudly why they alone had undervalued the car by so much

But if you can get ripped off by traders and joe public offering stupid money anyway, even if you get the AutoTrader guide price, their money's as good as anyone elses.

However the deal turned out to be good on paper, but identical to the under valuation of the car.

When we pointed out that even in poor condition (as opposed to our cared for low mileage model) they werre still £800 under the wire.

So we arranged an appointment one Saturday morning and took in all the valuations for other companies and spent quite some time in a crowded showroom asking loudly why they alone had undervalued the car by so much

NotthatJasonKenny

Faster on HFLC

Probably because they wanted to make more money than the others. It's surprisingly legal!

Seriously, vote with your feet if you don't like it!

A valuation of a car is a personal thing, a lot of it is based on experience. Speaking as someone who makes my living doing it, I have lost more money on Corsas than any other car so I'm probably the worst buyer of them but I will have had a better experience of another make and model so will be a better buyer.

In your case the trade has a saying, sometimes the best deal you do is the one you don't do. The rude, untrusting shouty man in the corner, the one who doesn't want us to make a profit isn't likely to stop shouting unjustly the whole time he owns the car, if we don't make a profit, how are we going to be able to afford to give you the top notch service you will demand?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Anyone who has been in business will have met plenty of people who expect you to work for nothing. As Not Jason Kenny points out the ones who scream loudest for a better deal turn out to be types of pain in the arse you wish you'd never touched in the first place.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Bit late coming into this one, avoid WBAY.com unless your desperate.

I got a quote from them for a 51 plate car with low milage etc and they offered me £300 , on trade in i got £700+ extra £300 so a grand.Liable to get more on a private sale.

Herr-B

And they don't buy any car! They don't buy limos, and I think Hummer is another, who knows what else. . .

Sent from my dog and bone using Tapatalk 2

Top Bottom