Wedding Present

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Willow

Help please. My best friend is getting married tomorrow a happy ending to a sad story. Just immediate family at the wedding for very understandable reasons to long to go into here. Have been speaking to her tonight and now understand some people are going to church and I am gutted as am too far away to make it now. Really thought everyone would go with her initial wishes. Anyway at their request I was leaving wedding present until they moved house. I bought them a rose for the garden called 'A New Dawn' when they got together and they thought some plants for the new garden would be nice. However tonight, I suppose because I was feeling I hadn't done anything I started to think about other presents. I wondered about buying them afternoon for tea 2 at the Ritz. I thought it would be something special which they wouldn't do for themselves and it would be a nice gift which could be there when they come back off honeymoon. You have 12 months to use the voucher. The drawback is they don't do lots of travelling and they would need to go to London (only 90 minutes by train) and cough up the rail fare so really I'm only buying half the present. I also thought it would be another opporunity for them to wear their glad rags.

What do you think?

I think it's a lovely idea.

I think it's a lovely idea too, but if they're short of cash they may find the fare difficult. If you buy far enough in advance the fares can be very cheap, and you get 2 for 1 entry into loads of attractions in London if you come on the train and present your tickets, so if you can afford it and plan it far enough in advance I'd get the tickets too and make it into a big day out in London.

Good on you.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It's a brilliant idea, me and 'er indoors have done the same for her parents a couple of times. They absolutely love going to the Ritz.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I agree that it is a wonderful idea, but as suggested you might need to add in the cost of train tickets.

I can remember once being given Gift vouchers to use at a Restaurant once. If you google wotsit "Restaurant Vouchers" there are some places that do vouchers, it depends where in the country your friends are. It looks like you can choose a specific restaurant, one nearer to your friends.

Someone has come up with an idea that looks similar to Book tokens, for Restaurants, but it is not up and running yet. :tongue:

Or, along the theme of plants, you can get Garden Vouchers, I think most garden centres sell them, then in the spring they could choose more plants for the garden, or wait until they have moved. Just my 2p worth, but it might be useful.

gavintc

Guru
Cunobelin said:
I know the Ritz is "The Ritz", but is there anywhere special or outstanding closer to their home?

I can see why, a Costa prepaid card just does not cut it. ;)

I think the Ritz was an excellent idea - I might use that idea myself sometime. But, if you go locally, you do need to select the location quite carefully. Why not force the issue and ask when they are free, book the train and the Ritz in one package.

PaulB

Legendary Member
Anyone open this thread expecting to read about "Brassneck", "No" and "Kennedy" et al?

Besides me?

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
PaulB said:
Anyone open this thread expecting to read about "Brassneck", "No" and "Kennedy" et al?

Besides me?

You weren't the only one Paul ;)

surfgurl

It was our first wedding anniversary this year. My sister bought us some vouchers for our favourite local restaurant, an Italian place in the High Street. She went in and they wrote out two £25 vouchers on the business cards stapled to the menu. I'm sure most places would do that if you wanted to choose somewhere local.

Top Bottom