Weed or Not

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My father in laws yesterday..... Bloody gone mad

View attachment 476499

We've taken to getting a gardener round every two weeks to the MIL's (she is in a nursing Home now) as it's too much work - I have enough with my garden and a caravan garden and it would fall on me to do !

Gary E

Veteran
Several years ago now my neighbour moved out and a new couple moved in. The previous owner had been a mad keen gardener and this showed in the beautiful plants in both his front and back gardens.

Over the next few years the new neighbour, a well-intention but nevertheless useless gardener, tried to keep things going but ultimately failed and the whole plot slowly returned to nature :sad:

The funniest moment was also one of the most tragic - the whole of the front of the house was covered in a lovely wall of Ivy that had been trained and trimmed over the years and was something we'd been envious of (we had plain, boring brickwork on show, not nearly as nice).

Having killed the bedding plants in the bed under the downstairs window, new neighbour decides to tidy it up a bit, remove the weeds and re-plant. He removed the old dead plants, the weeds and even added compost to the soil. Unfortunately what he didn't realise was that all of the lovely Ivy on the front wall was rooted in this very bed. Not only did he remove the old plants and weeds, he also dug out the Ivy roots (he actually trimmed the Ivy off the wall up to a height of a foot or so, thinking that you wouldn't see it behind his new plants anyway and he didn't want the Ivy to grow on them).

Over the next few weeks and months the Ivy slowly died, shrivelled and fell off the wall in huge clumps :sad:

Moral of the story - if in doubt, leave it alone and ask a grown up! (a strategy that has mostly (but not always) kept me safe from the wrath of my wife).

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Several years ago now my neighbour moved out and a new couple moved in. The previous owner had been a mad keen gardener and this showed in the beautiful plants in both his front and back gardens.

Over the next few years the new neighbour, a well-intention but nevertheless useless gardener, tried to keep things going but ultimately failed and the whole plot slowly returned to nature :sad:

The funniest moment was also one of the most tragic - the whole of the front of the house was covered in a lovely wall of Ivy that had been trained and trimmed over the years and was something we'd been envious of (we had plain, boring brickwork on show, not nearly as nice).

Having killed the bedding plants in the bed under the downstairs window, new neighbour decides to tidy it up a bit, remove the weeds and re-plant. He removed the old dead plants, the weeds and even added compost to the soil. Unfortunately what he didn't realise was that all of the lovely Ivy on the front wall was rooted in this very bed. Not only did he remove the old plants and weeds, he also dug out the Ivy roots (he actually trimmed the Ivy off the wall up to a height of a foot or so, thinking that you wouldn't see it behind his new plants anyway and he didn't want the Ivy to grow on them).

Over the next few weeks and months the Ivy slowly died, shrivelled and fell off the wall in huge clumps :sad:

Moral of the story - if in doubt, leave it alone and ask a grown up! (a strategy that has mostly (but not always) kept me safe from the wrath of my wife).

We've got Ivy up the side of the house, it provides a 'home' for about 40 or so Sparrows.

Globalti

Legendary Member
There's only one answer:

Jungle-ablaze-after-napalm-bombing.jpg

Levo-Lon

Guru
We've taken to getting a gardener round every two weeks to the MIL's (she is in a nursing Home now) as it's too much work - I have enough with my garden and a caravan garden and it would fall on me to do !

He had a gardener but he died ahed 90..i know.

I'll have to blitz it.
I totally clered it a few yrs ago, all sheeted and gravel.
Few shrubs to clip.. But it's just a mess now.

Sadly Fin Law hasn't long for this world so maybe it will be the next oeners worry

Brains

Legendary Member
Get in a gardener !

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Must say we had the gardener to blitz it when it got bad this time as we'd previosuly spent ages doing it (limited kit at my MIL's house), and it's turned out a good investment of £15 every two weeks. Took the gardener two days to blitz it at first though.

Top Bottom