Weed or Not

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

My father is now nearly 95 & despite me loathing gardening I've had to go up & make a start on his, it was starting to take over, problem is I know nothing about it. I have eliminated all areas around my house, the wife has a couple of tubs, a few hanging baskets which she's happy with the splash of colour as she doesn't like hardening either. This was if we see something that is not going in a pot or tub it can be eradicated forthwith.

However that is not the case at Dad's he has a lawn with a border which is being taken over, I started to fight back yesterday & have been up again today.

So the questions are, is this a weed?

IMG_20190721_170550.jpg

And this,

IMG_20190721_170554.jpg

What's this & should it be so big? Can I virtually cut it to it's stump

IMG_20190721_173039.jpg

This looks to me like some type of Ivy, it's taken over along a wall, across a path, up the border & now trying to escape into next doors garden, this definitely wants eradicating, again what's the best way, I tried to dig it up, but it fights back, are flames my friend?

IMG_20190721_173541.jpg
IMG_20190721_173543.jpg

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Get an app for your phone called SEEK. It will identify plants for you.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hi @Phaeton.
If I was you, I would set the lawnmower or strimmer on N. one and 2.
Cut number 3 right back, it's a nice bush, it will grow again.
The ivy, just cut off as much as you can, that will never die.
The plants you showed us are perennials, hard to kill.
As you don't have neither the time or the inclination, just cut back everything as much as you can, cut hedges and lawn, as long as it all looks tidy you can't go wrong.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

Thank you all, I think the way forward is to get rid of the earth borders, lay a row of paving all the way around the edge, lawn up to it & then if he wants some colour we'll do dome pots for him

classic33

Leg End Member
Take a garden fork to the ivy, lifting out as much as possible. Chances are it's already under the lawn if it's within feet of it.

snorri

Legendary Member
Thank you all, I think the way forward is to get rid of the earth borders, lay a row of paving all the way around the edge, lawn up to it & then if he wants some colour we'll do dome pots for him
There could be quite a bit of work and expense in laying paving, perhaps just keep things at bay with a regular Flymo/strimmer treatment and eventually it will all be under grass.
There's little point in trying to differentiate between plants and weeds, as weeds have been described as plants growing out of place.

Top Bottom