Weighing a Bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Plax

Guru
How do I weigh my bike?
I only have your ordinary everyday bathroom scales at my disposal. I don't want to obviously go over the airline weight limit when I go take my bike abroad.

iLB

Hello there
1) weigh self on scales - x

2) weigh self holding bike on scales - n

3) n-x=m

m= mass of bike

simples

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
stand on scales and note your weight, now pick up bike and do smae, then subtract first from second, should be close enough.

I actually shelled out £4 on a fishing scale, basic springloaded one. This is attached to a hook in garage ceiling and I just hang a bike on it by the saddle, it copes with weights up to 25kg/50lbs. Won't be super accurate but I wasn't spending £30+ on a fancy digital one.

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
That was a totally traumatic experience. I've just found out I've put on nearly a stone in weight!

Bike weighs an horrific 15.87 kgs with mudguards and bar ends too. Eeeek!

Plax said:
That was a totally traumatic experience. I've just found out I've put on nearly a stone in weight!

Bike weighs an horrific 15.87 kgs with mudguards and bar ends too. Eeeek!

Get 6 bags of sugar in a carrier bag and lift it - that's how much excess you are carrying around over a reasonably portly road bike - and that's just the bike!

I am Spartacus

Über Member
Presumably an MTB, why so so shocked? ;)
Heavier grades alloy.. full of bits you shouldnt really need but they bang 'em on the bike like suspension
I dont need to weigh mine, I know it is a godamn porker and there is nothing I can do about it.

jimboalee

P1445_21-11-09.jpg

OK, so I took the pedals off.

Add another 12 oz.

Top Bottom