Weight loss/training for L-C-L

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Little and often is the best way, top up what you have rather than try to replace what's been lost. I have a distance alert set on my garmin for every 10miles so I largely eat to the beep on a longer ride

OP
OP
Alan O

Alan O

Über Member
Really good ride today - quite a few ducklings on the canal, which seems quite early. It was a circular ride and I was enjoying it, so I extended it a little and managed 41.4 miles.

It was the first serious ride on my Raleigh Royal that I built up after I got the frame last year, and I'm pretty happy with it. It was also the first serious ride on my Brooks Cambium C17, and it's super comfy ^_^

Best thing is, I feel fine afterwards!

Alan

si_c

Guru
Really good ride today - quite a few ducklings on the canal, which seems quite early. It was a circular ride and I was enjoying it, so I extended it a little and managed 41.4 miles.

It was the first serious ride on my Raleigh Royal that I built up after I got the frame last year, and I'm pretty happy with it. It was also the first serious ride on my Brooks Cambium C17, and it's super comfy ^_^

Best thing is, I feel fine afterwards!

Alan
Sounds good. Now to try 62mi :bicycle:

si_c

Guru
^_^

I'll probably head over to your area soon and go for a 50.

Cheers,
Alan
Gimme a shout if you want company. I'm doing a lot of commuting miles atm, so I'm up for a steady 50mile spin. Incidentally, the Wirral Circular route is more or less a 50mile loop, with plenty of stops for food along the way (think nicholls in Parkgate).

OP
OP
Alan O

Alan O

Über Member
Gimme a shout if you want company. I'm doing a lot of commuting miles atm, so I'm up for a steady 50mile spin. Incidentally, the Wirral Circular route is more or less a 50mile loop, with plenty of stops for food along the way (think nicholls in Parkgate).
Thanks, I'll let you know - only trouble is it will almost certainly have to be a weekday (due to the nature of my work and domestic things), but I might be able to squeeze a Saturday or Sunday.

I used to ride Wirral circuits in the old days (back when the ferry did simple commuter fares all day, with none of this cruise-only nonsense), and I certainly remember there was no shortage of food! I don't know Nicholls, but there used to be a pretty good deli/sandwich place in West Kirby.

si_c

Guru
Thanks, I'll let you know - only trouble is it will almost certainly have to be a weekday (due to the nature of my work and domestic things), but I might be able to squeeze a Saturday or Sunday.

I used to ride Wirral circuits in the old days (back when the ferry did simple commuter fares all day, with none of this cruise-only nonsense), and I certainly remember there was no shortage of food! I don't know Nicholls, but there used to be a pretty good deli/sandwich place in West Kirby.
Nichol(l?)s is the post office, purveyors of Nichols famous Ice Cream. I've never not stopped there on the way through. Nor have I have I ever detoured to go there by accident. :whistle:

griff488

HI Alan
Thanks for the suggestions regarding drinks. I will give them a try. I'd forgotten all about Kendal mint cake! I used to have it as a kid when being dragged up the various fells in the Lake District by my Dad!!

Unfortunately I too have had a couple of weeks off the bike due to sustaining a back injury and being busy with kids hols and work.
I am going to squeeze in a shortish ride on Tuesday and then I have entered the Cycling Weekly Arrow sportive at the weekend which I am looking forward too. I have only entered the short one which is 52 miles and not a lot of climbing. My plan is to use this as an indication of current fitness and practice for London. Also decide whether the current gear setup on my bike is suitable for me. I'm currently running 52/36 cranks but usually only run 50/34.
If I can get it done in less than four hours I'll be happy at this stage in my training.
Hope you're training is still going well!

Cheers Griff

OP
OP
Alan O

Alan O

Über Member
HI Alan
Thanks for the suggestions regarding drinks. I will give them a try. I'd forgotten all about Kendal mint cake! I used to have it as a kid when being dragged up the various fells in the Lake District by my Dad!!

Unfortunately I too have had a couple of weeks off the bike due to sustaining a back injury and being busy with kids hols and work.
I am going to squeeze in a shortish ride on Tuesday and then I have entered the Cycling Weekly Arrow sportive at the weekend which I am looking forward too. I have only entered the short one which is 52 miles and not a lot of climbing. My plan is to use this as an indication of current fitness and practice for London. Also decide whether the current gear setup on my bike is suitable for me. I'm currently running 52/36 cranks but usually only run 50/34.
If I can get it done in less than four hours I'll be happy at this stage in my training.
Hope you're training is still going well!

Cheers Griff
Hi Griff,

I've actually had a couple of poor weeks. With various things like minor family illnesses and the like (I care for my old Mum, so that limits my freedom), I've only been managing a few short rides. I had planned a 45-50 last weekend, but flu got in the way, so hopefully that will happen next weekend (although the May blossom is out, and as a home winemaker that's one event of the year I can't miss).

As for gearing, for my 100 I'll be using a 28-38-48 Biopace triple with 6-speed 14-28 on an old steel tourer. (My other steel road bike has 42-52 Biopace and 14-24 - I might try it on that one next year :whistle:)

Cheers,
Alan

griff488

I am pleased to report I completed the Arrow sportive with relative ease. Which considering an almost complete lack of training due to various reasons I'm quite happy with. I completed it in just under four hours and thoroughly enjoyed the event. I would recommend any of UK cycling events rides. Very well signposted and marshalled at busy junctions! They are also cheap to enter at £26 for the 52 miler which includes a medal!

Following on from the sportive there's a few things I need to work on.
Firstly comfort!! I rode wearing my mtb shorts and was extremely uncomfortable in the undercarriage area!! I plan to invest in some decent bib shorts and see if that improves things.
Secondly fuelling. Whilst I didn't get hungry due to my missus meeting me at the feed station with some sandwiches I found it difficult to eat. I had taken cereal bars and gels with me to eat but have discovered that eating anything sweet whilst riding makes me feel sick! So the plan will be to use sandwiches instead!
Hydration wise I did ok. Still didn't drink enough but more than I have been previously so will continue to work on that!
My gearing felt OK on this ride. Some of the hills were quite steep albeit fairly short.

My plan for the next few weeks are as much riding as possible with some gym/swimming sessions as well. I'm still losing weight albeit slowly at the moment but so long as it keeps going down I'll be happy!!

Hope your training is going well!
Cheer Griff

si_c

Guru
Secondly fuelling. Whilst I didn't get hungry due to my missus meeting me at the feed station with some sandwiches I found it difficult to eat. I had taken cereal bars and gels with me to eat but have discovered that eating anything sweet whilst riding makes me feel sick! So the plan will be to use sandwiches instead!
Hydration wise I did ok. Still didn't drink enough but more than I have been previously so will continue to work on that!
My gearing felt OK on this ride. Some of the hills were quite steep albeit fairly short.
If you were having difficulty eating, it is possible that you were dehydrated, so you may need to drink more.

OP
OP
Alan O

Alan O

Über Member
I've had a couple of bad weeks myself.

Firstly I was out of action for about a week with a torn diaphragm muscle. And I wasn't doing anything strenuous at the time - I was just standing up from an armchair and turning to one side when I coughed...

Then a bit of serious illness from my Mum kept me in - I'm her carer and couldn't go out at all while she was bad (she's OK now, thankfully).

So I've really not managed more than a couple of 10-12 mile rides this week, being able to leave Mum for no more than about an hour at a time.

But, plans are afoot for this weekend, and I'm hoping to get close to a 50 - as long as it doesn't all gang agley again.

OP
OP
Alan O

Alan O

Über Member
At 44 miles yesterday I didn't quite manage a 50, but it was an excellent ride, and really quite hard for a lot of it.

I followed the Liverpool loop line, canal towpath, and NCN route 62 all the way to Southport, so off-road for almost all of the way - mostly gravel track. The worst surface, unexpectedly, was the tarmac coastal road path for the last few miles - it's heavily patched and had just the right kind of bumpiness to hammer at my wrists and try to rattle my teeth out.

NCN 62 is really good, and there were hundreds of cyclists using it - I was on my touring bike with Schwalbe Marathons, and I saw all sorts including road bikes, hybrids, uprights, MTBs, families with kids' bikes, and even a tandem (which you don't see off road very often) and a fat bike.

Big lunch at The Swan of plaice, chips and mushy peas - not the best way to fuel a bike ride, but it's the best fish & chips I know and I find it impossible to go to Southport and not eat there.

The ride back was on NCN route 810, along the coast and out past Crosby Marina. And this was the hard part - I had a steady strong southerly headwind all the way, with only a few short periods of respite from blocking trees. The BBC put it at 10-12 mph, though at the Crosby stretch along the seafront I'm sure it was stronger - I was pushing to just manage about twice walking pace (judging by the speed I overtook walkers). After close to 20 miles of relentless headwind, I cut it short a bit and headed directly home by road from Crosby.

Overall, I averaged around 12mph out (which I thought was reasonable for off road and the stop/start nature of the busy cycle/walker/dog route) but only about 8mph back against the wind. I got home feeling surprisingly good, especially as I pretty much got my feeding completely wrong from a cycling perspective - I ate hardly anything on the ride there and back, and there was that big lunch.

About an hour after getting home I went to visit a friend in hospital, so I walked there as a 'warm down' exercise - it was only 2 miles (and I got the bus back), but I think it helped.

Over the day, my fitbit reckoned I'd used up around 7,000 kcals - I know it's not accurate, but treating it as a vague ballpark my input for the day was only around half of that and I've hopefully burned up a tiny bit of flab ;-)

I finished the day with a couple of bottles of Erdinger Weissbier and slept very well!

Today I do feel pretty tired, and that's surely because of my insufficient calorie intake, but my legs feel fine. So, a good day, especially as it was mostly off road, but I'll be getting my fueling right for future rides.

Alan

OP
OP
Alan O

Alan O

Über Member
Well, I've managed no more long-ish rides at all :sad:

My dear Mum chose the last fortnight to slip into another psychiatric episode needing almost 24x7 attention, and that's largely killed my training plans (well, she didn't choose it, but you know what I mean).

So I've been relying on multiple 1-hour rides pushing my pace a bit, the turbo, and elliptical trainer sessions. There's only nine days to go, and I'm going to do the 100 if it takes me all day and wears my bum down to the bone :whistle:

Right now it's final details time, including last minute bike adjustments (derailleurs needed a bit of fine tuning) and getting the fuel plan together - today I took delivery of a nice little top tube bag for my jelly babies ^_^

Top Bottom