weight of tent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cromcruaich

Sleeping bags and matts, well lots of choices.

On the matt, you've probably followed several threads on the subject - i would just get an alpkit airic, they are better than the thermarest ones for 1/2 the price imo (I have both). Up to you which size.

On sleeping bags, again alpkit do some excellent value bags - the pipe dream ones - you'll not get a better price for an equivalent spec.

I've not tried one myself as when I was a bit portlier some 2.5 years ago I got a snugpak chrysalis autumn - its a synthetic with bags of room and very comfortable with anything that gets thrown at you for all but the coldest nights (toasty warm with outside temp of -5). It is a bit bulky and a bit on the heavy side though - if buying again without my size to worry about - i'd def go with an alpkit pipedream.

heather212

http://www.outdoorworld.co.uk/coleman-phad-x3-tent-p-1975.html

I have a Coleman Phad 3 that I intend to use for some weekend treks this summer. On the minus side, it's a wee bitty heavy at 3.85kg, but it easily sleeps two and the porch area is large enough to store a bike.

But on the plus side, it's an excellant tent that stood up magnificently to some ferocious weather on the Welsh coast last year, when other tents were buckling under the storms.

OP
OP
C

Cockney Scot

Just had an email, tempest 300 that i ordered is out of stock. This may not be the problem I initisly thought. I have been surfing the web and come across the Vango Spirit 200+ which is a light weight 4 seasons tent, weign=hing in at 2.8kg, a bit more expensive but have found one supplier which has the 2008 models at £284, so reckon I may opt for this instead.
Hope the holiday is as good as the planning , as I am really enjoying all the preperation.

Proud2Push

The two of us have used a Vango Spirit 300 for a couple of years and like it very much - it's easy to pitch, has stacks of room and has taken some fierce weather. I think you will prefer the using the entrance of the Spirit than crawling through wet grass and/or mud to get in and out of the small Tempest door.

OP
OP
C

Cockney Scot

Just ordered a vango spirit 200= AND FOOTPRINT FOR £209 so very happy. Now I need advice on a sleeping bag, looking for 2 -3 seasons , lite weight and not to expensive, also looking for a sleepimh map. Seen a few self inflating which look good, again 2-3 season and not to expensive.
Have to say thanks to all who have replied and assisted so far your help has been well appreciated.
interesting thing here i have been caravqaning for 20+ years and am looking forward as much to this camping trip as I do to caravaning.

andym

Über Member
delt1c

It's probably better to start a new thread for a new topic. That said, Alpkit are well regarded - or try Decathlon own brand if you have one near you.

aqaleigh

WOW - thats a heavy tent for cycling - 1.5kg for me

Cromcruaich

I'd not skimp on sleeping bag, get a good 3 season at least. You'll almost certainly end up regretting buying a cheap one as you end up wanting to go out camping during spring/autumn. Comfortable nights sleep is the key to enjoying any trip!

As said earlier, just get an alpkit airic for a mat - its almost a no brainer. Just have to choose which version you want to live with.

willem

Über Member
My advice for a matteress for cold weather would be an Exped Downmat or Synmat (for both, get the newer versiosn with the inbuilt pump). They are lighter (just under 900 grams), more compact, more comfortable (7cm) and significantly warmer than a self inflatable. For summer weather, get the new Thermarest Neoair. It is 6.3 cm, only 420 grams, and very compact.
Willem

jay clock

Massive member
I have an Exped Downmat 7 - only used once to test it in the garden, but at least 100 times more comfy than the Thermarest Prolite 4 that it replaced. And with temps below freezing no sign of chilliness either

Randochap

Senior hunter
My 1-person tent (weighs around 1.5 kilos) is split into three parts -- tent, fly, poles. Each has its own stuff sack. The tent and fly go in the panniers and the poles are strapped on the top of one of the rear panniers, via nylon webbing loops sewn on the stuff sack and pannier.

The tent fly has an integral vestibule, that gives shelter to shoes, panniers, etc. -- but nothing that's been near food or cosmetics. We have something called grizzly bears here.

Top Bottom