Weights - lower body

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bodhbh

Guru
Despite the cycling let myself go to pot a bit over summer with the good living and all. Considering sorting the diet out soon restarting some moderate weight training once a week. Question I have, is do people generally bother doing any lowerbody workout, squats, calf raises, etc as this area obviously gets a good hammering on the bike. Does it improves your riding or more of a hinderance, making you sore?

I find it improves things. In general I follow up an interval session with weights. I don't do much on the lower body: leg press, calf raise, squats with a swiss ball, lunges and another one I can't remember the name of. Always do higher reps and lower weights, but then I'm a girl and don't really like the butch look...

I'm told by the physio that it balances strength differences between the limbs, which can protect against injury.

postman

Legendary Member
What a coincedence i started the same regime yesterday.Just doing the work in my hallway.I googled ''exercises for knees''.And up came a lot of info for the older person to keep supple.So having already got a small box of weights from Argos years ago to help with physio on knee op.I do calf raises,squats,leg curl,leg extensions,straight leg raise.and quad and abductor leg raises.All so simple .So watch this space as they say.

DanRVV2006

I tend to do weight training in the winter months as the miles on the bike decrease due to poor weather and the nights drawing in. I find it helps me to maintain and increase muscle mass in the off season, its also meant to help tendons and ligaments strenghen themselves because of the overload of weight. Of course as spring comes around miles increase again and i limit weight training if any at all as it tires my muscles for a few days. And the improvements in the gym i make over winter carry to the bike as i make the muscle mass i added form weight training into more sport specifc muscle (if you know what i mean by that). I find it just keeps my body ticking over, rather than trying to thrash my body all year round on the bike like some people do. Hope that helps.

Losidan

i have found that some weights have definitely helped...both on arms and legs. i have definitely seen a benefit on the bmx track

walker

If you prefer going out in the bike and doing your leg work out that way then carry on.

Doing weights on your legs won't produce much endurance benefits but will produce more power in the legs i.e. you will be able to get into a sprint quicker than before, or climb that hill a little easier.

You will be able to gain more strength in Tendon area's and bone density in doing weights, something you can't do on the bike as it is not a weight baring exercise.

OP
OP
Bodhbh

Bodhbh

Guru
Okay cheers, will keep the lowerbody stuff in and see how it goes. atm just enjoying getting out, but once nights draw in a bit can get restarted on that.

Top Bottom