Weinmann Brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

onb

Guru
Had my 1st ride (4 miles ) on my Raleigh Pursuit the braking was to put it bluntly frightening, so am contemplating some Dia Compe as only they have a long enough reach (65 ml) unless anyone knows better .I really wanted to keep the Weinmanns but I value life and limb .

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
I'm sure it would be worth changing brake pads, Koolstop salmon are well regarded, providing there is no fault with the actual brakes you should see a significant improvement in stopping power.

OP
OP
onb

onb

Guru
Thanks for the replies ,the rims are open sport and I have upgraded the pads to a set of moderns brake pads .I can the the calipers flexing under braking..

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Thanks for the replies ,the rims are open sport and I have upgraded the pads to a set of moderns brake pads .I can the the calipers flexing under braking..
The pads are too hard, either use Coolstop Salmons or Clarks. Also be aware that those brakes will not work with your hand on the 'hoods' and 2 fingers on the brake lever.
Also you say it was your first ride, had you set up the pads correctly or are they only making partial contact with the rim (until they 'wear in')

mikeymustard

Veteran
Had my 1st ride (4 miles ) on my Raleigh Pursuit the braking was to put it bluntly frightening, so am contemplating some Dia Compe as only they have a long enough reach (65 ml) unless anyone knows better .I really wanted to keep the Weinmanns but I value life and limb .
Why is the drop so big, have you changed to 700c? As a - ahem - larger gentleman, I like to put dual pivot brakes on if I know I'm going to be riding the bike myself much. When I needed a longer drop I used these:
141268811119_1.jpg

they're a nutted design rather than recessed.
Obviously the longer the drop, the more the arms are going to flex, and I was quite worried that for the price they might be shoit, but I've got these on the rear of a bike which has normal drop RSX dual on the front and there's no discernible difference.
Oh and I changed the pads for Clarks 3 colour pads

I was thinking about the stopping power of the old Weinmann brakes and remembered how I damaged the rear wheel on my Holdsworth. It was back in the 70's and I was chasing a mate to work, he was in a car ahead of me when he braked hard. There was no other option than to grab a handful of brakes, the front wheel locked and I went over the handlebars, the rear wheel slamming into the road buckling it.
The brakes were Weinmann centre pulls with pink ish brake blocks on ally rims and seem to had enough stopping power in their day.

sidevalve

Über Member
When well set up weinmann are good brakes. Either you have contaminated blocks / rims or something seriously wrong with the levers /cables / callipers or the callipers may not be fixed on their pivot-s properly. Unless as above you have the blocks only partially touching the rims.

tyred

Legendary Member
They should be more than powerful enough if set up correctly with decent pads They will however need more hand pressure than modern brakes so anyone with small hands might find a problem.

It's worth stripping them down, cleaning and putting a smear of light grease or oil on the pivot and also the important but over-looked bit, clean the spring and the part it slides on on the calliper arms and apply a drop of light oil. If you have problems with any single pivot brake that won't stay centred, this often fixes it. Make sure cables are in good condition and oil the pivots on the brake levers.

Top Bottom