Weinmann "mod dep" centre pull

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

carpenter

Über Member
I have just finished cleaning up a pair of Weinmann brakes and something is bugging me.

They are 1963 (at least they have "750 63" on the back of the arms), but they have an extra bracket fixed to the front arm which seems to be there to retain the inner arm.
The bracket has "mod dep" engraved on it (top and bottom):

551505 551507

Any ideas/information on this model? I haven't seen one like it before and google doesn't seem to come up with much (just one passing reference which I have found).

Also, "Weinmann Vainqeur 999" is engraved on the front arm, not the "usual?" foil sticker (although there was a small piece of silver foil stuck to one of the engravings when I started cleaning)

midlife

Guru
Is mod dep translated into patent pending or something? Off to Google....

OP
OP
C

carpenter

Über Member
modèle depose

ANSWER: The “MOD DEP” is an abbreviation for modèle depose, a French term meaning registered design. ... Since the item contains no number, the abbreviation may mean the design application has not yet been approved, much like “PAT. PENDING” in the U.S.

pure genius - I thought it was a shortening of "modification department" 😊

midlife

Guru
I'm sure some centre pulls had a pin and slot guide. I have a memory of ordering little plastic covers for the pins when we used to service them. Mind you it was over 40 years ago lol.

OP
OP
C

carpenter

Über Member
I'm sure some centre pulls had a pin and slot guide. I have a memory of ordering little plastic covers for the pins when we used to service them. Mind you it was over 40 years ago lol.
I seem to remember (little red covers) pin and guide on my centre pulls back in the sixties - it would have been mid 1969 as I got a Dawes racing bike for cycling to secondary school :smile:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
modèle depose

ANSWER: The “MOD DEP” is an abbreviation for modèle depose, a French term meaning registered design. ... Since the item contains no number, the abbreviation may mean the design application has not yet been approved, much like “PAT. PENDING” in the U.S.

pure genius - I thought it was a shortening of "modification department" 😊
Yep my Brooks Swallow has that stamped into the joiner plate under the saddle.

avecReynolds531

Veteran
I knew I'd seen that before and remembered: modèle déposé was stamped into the metal chainguard of my mid 70s Peugeot PE41.

The Weinmann centre pulls work well for me - first time I've seen the engraving rather than the sticker - nice.

Top Bottom