Weird cycle "lane' markings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
“As part of the design, there is a dropped kerb that allows cyclists to safely leave the carriageway to access the shared area for pedestrians and cyclists.

“The design markings on the dropped kerb reflect the requirement for cyclists leaving the carriageway to give way to users of the shared space.

“It has been designed this way due to the limited space available and its effectiveness will be reviewed in the coming months.

“It then leads to a newly installed cycle crossing and a further stretch of cycleway at the bottom of Warley Road.

“The cycle lane provides a segregated link for cyclists from King Cross centre to new crossings across the A646 and A58, allowing cyclists to avoid the busy King Cross junction."

Kind of makes sense once they explain it.

The problem if that if it requires someone to explain in over several sentences then it has already failed

if you come up to it while walking or cycling - then what in the name of $deity do you think?

road systems which only for for people who have travelled on that road for some time are a problem!

IMO

“As part of the design, there is a dropped kerb that allows cyclists to safely leave the carriageway to access the shared area for pedestrians and cyclists."

Seems to sum it up ?

tom73

Guru
Was set this yesterday it's totally crackpot waste of money. A prime example of money is going we want it how we spend it we've no idea , but we want it. If it's for what they say it is then a simple sign saying "give way to users already on shared space" or other simple message.
Is easy to understand and cheep.
Councillors sign this stuff off and elected mayors are happy to give away funding. It's wheels in wheels and nothing to do with improving anything.

classic33

Leg End Member
The footpath on which it appears isn't a shared use footpath pedestrians and pedal cycles, though.

Lies on the opposite side of the road to the cyclelane with a street light in the centre of it, also mentioned on here. This is to enable access to that lane.
And in a similar vein to that one, there's a double post street sign just outside of those markings.

@ebikeerwidnes, the folk who came up with the idea, have never cycled on a road.

classic33

Leg End Member
" Limited space available " my foot! They just decided they'd rather let motorists use the space needed to make a sensible cycle route.
They want cyclists to use the limited space available for pedestrians.
There is no shared footpath on that side of the road, yet.

The problem is these things are designed by people who probably never seen an cycle apart from on their cgi screen, let alone cycled, so then you do not get the best solutions. In every even moderately cycle busy town or city they abolish shared cycle schemes because they don't work. every except for the uk for some reason.

Mike_P

Guru
Following a posting in the in the Name the road thread I followed a cycle route on Google Streetscene to find at the other end its markings stop short of the road it connects to
1710069066827.png

so strictly presumably any cyclist using it will at the end be going the wrong way on a one-way road without any permissive excepton.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
so strictly presumably any cyclist using it will at the end be going the wrong way on a one-way road without any permissive excepton.
That depends. If there's a traffic regulation order for the one way that excepts cyclists, the lane isn't necessary and is mainly to penalise motorists entering it and endangering oncoming riders, which would explain it stopping short, to make right turns in easier for drivers.

Red17

Veteran
There are a couple of crossings on one of my regular routes that appear to be marked out as cycling zebra crossings. Im not sure of the legality of these but I am always extra careful as car drivers seem 50/50 split between whether they stop or just carry on through.

Ive only seen 2 of these, but is it fairly common ?

Picture1.png

Drago

Legendary Member
There are a couple of crossings on one of my regular routes that appear to be marked out as cycling zebra crossings. Im not sure of the legality of these but I am always extra careful as car drivers seem 50/50 split between whether they stop or just carry on through.

View attachment 724655

Looks like some kind of variation on the Toucan crossing.

Bristolian

View attachment 724655

It's called a Parallel Crossing and they are starting to be quite widely used in an attempt to keep pedestrians and cyclists separated at crossings. Highway Code rule #195 mentions them.

Top Bottom