Weird post edit box behaviour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I amis s experiencing strange behaviour when editing my posts. Th

HA HA - see above! :laugh:

The text cursor is jumping about when I am typing. I look at the keyboard when typing and sometimes look up and find that the cursor has moved and I am then typing in the wrong place in the text. This started a few days ago and I have only noticed it on CycleChat in the version 12.17 Opera browser.

It could be a fault on my system, or is anybody else experiencing similar problems?

wel l misen ko:whistle:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
The only problem I have been having is that my galaxy tab seems to be having trouble keeping up the speed I am typing at. Hence, I am 5 or 6 words ahead of what is on my screen. Then because of the lag some really stupid words or parts of words appear. I think its just a problem with my tab though

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

The only problem I have been having is that my galaxy tab seems to be having trouble keeping up the speed I am typing at. Hence, I am 5 or 6 words ahead of what is on my screen. Then because of the lag some really stupid words or parts of words appear. I think its just a problem with my tab though
My Mk 1 Galaxy Tab does the same thing and it is really annoying!

Typing was ok on this laptop though, until the jumping cursor problem appeared.

I used to get something similar.

And only on cyclechat.

It made it almost unusable fir editing on the samsung tab.

But then it sorted itself.

Maybe an update to something kicked in?

I use firefox.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

It's the latest opera update... Mine is doing the same. Can't edit the start of a word on mine, have to delete everything up to that point then retype. However since I powered off my tablet and restarted it the problem has gone ... :whistle:
I'll try a reboot. The sleep mode is so good on this thing that I never switch it all the way off. It only crashes about once every 3 or 4 months, so forced reboots do not happen often.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I updated my mac to Yosemite and it's been useless since... Wifi using Safari drops out opening a new tab/page... similar cursor jump and Mail doesn't send messages using BTinternet but will receive them..

I'll try a reboot. The sleep mode is so good on this thing that I never switch it all the way off. It only crashes about once every 3 or 4 months, so forced reboots do not happen often.
I was saving power whilst in hospital otherwise i would not have resolved the problem either!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I was saving power whilst in hospital otherwise i would not have resolved the problem either!
When I went to hospital in 2012, it was as an emergency admission so I did not take my tablet with me. I was so weak and fuzzy-headed from lack of oxygen that it did not occur to me to ask for it to be brought in by my friend when she came to visit!

One good thing though ... I asked one of the nurses if there was anything to read and she returned with a pile of books left behind by former patients. I read 3 or 4 novels while I was there.

When I went to hospital in 2012, it was as an emergency admission so I did not take my tablet with me. I was so weak and fuzzy-headed from lack of oxygen that it did not occur to me to ask for it to be brought in by my friend when she came to visit!

One good thing though ... I asked one of the nurses if there was anything to read and she returned with a pile of books left behind by former patients. I read 3 or 4 novels while I was there.
Yep, managed 2 come novels so far as well.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Hmm ... The jumping cursor problem has been driving me mad. I have been putting it down to the combination of XenForo and Opera, but then it started happening today when I was composing a Hotmail email in the Chrome browser!

Ok, that seemed much more likely to be a hardware problem. I found a video on YouTube showing me how to get the keyboard out of my laptop so I decided to check that the connectors were pushed in correctly. I only went and slipped with a screwdriver and tore one tiny track in the keyboard ribbon cable! :cursing:

So, now I have a keyboard with a jumping cursor, and the broken track seems to have affected only one key - the right arrow key. You don't realise how often you use the right arrow key until it stops working! It is incredibly annoying to have to drop back to a trackpad or mouse to move the cursor to the right ... It isn't so bad when I want to go to the end of what I am typing because I can use the End key for that, but moving one character or word at a time is now a faff. (And of course, the jumping cursor problem means that I keep having to move it back to where it was before it jumped!)

The tracks in the cable are so fine that I doubt that I could repair it without risking causing even more damage, and anyway, I have mislaid my soldering iron. I decided that the best thing to do was to buy a replacement keyboard, and that might also fix the cursor problem. I found a company on eBay doing new D430 keyboards for £11.99 and was just about to order one, when my stepdaughter texted me asking if there was anything I fancied for Christmas so that's that one sorted for now! :laugh:

Hopefully, the replacement keyboard will work perfectly.

Last edited:
Top Bottom