Weird Pub names

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
There is the crooked Chimney near St Albans, For an obvious reason.
thecrookedchimneywelwyngarden-gallery_01.jpg

PK99

Legendary Member
Is that the one with a tree growing through it?

Can't remember. It was my local 30 years ago as a Fullers Pub, now a 'Spoons.

Name came about as there were two pubs next door to each other, destroyed by fire* many years ago and rebuilt as one...

* that was a tale on a picture in the Pub at the time, current web sites say they were demolished to build the Tram depot

Last edited:

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
We used to have a Pineapple near us. It's now the Pomeroy. Which is a shame, because the Pineapple's been there long enough to have a road named after it. Suppsedly it was named after an unexpected fruit which came to Buckinghamshire quite a long time ago - but judging by the number of Pineapple pubs around the place that might be wrong.

There was a 14th century pub called The Pineapple near Aldermaston. I thought IDIOTS, how dare they give an old pub a silly name like that. The pub sign did not even show a pineapple, it showed a fir cone. When I looked it up on t'internet, I found out that pineapple was the old name for a fir cone :shy:

Brains

Legendary Member
Down in SE London near Charlton FC is the Antigallican, which I believe is named after a ship. .

There used to be another pub, near London bridge, also called the Antigallican, in the days before Strava people used to boast of their Antigallican to Antigallican cycle times.

The Antigallican movement of the 17th century was against all things French.
I guess we will be having a bunch of new pubs springing up with the modern version of the name, "The Brexiteer" (where no French wine or German beer will be sold)

Last edited:

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
The Antigallican movement of the 17th century was against all things French.

I wasn't aware of the Antigallican movement - very interesting, thanks! The Antigallican near London Bridge must have gone before I moved to London in the late 90s because I don't remember it.

I've just looked it up and apparently there were several Antigallican pubs around London at the height of the movement, but most of them changed their name when the movement died out. And there was a ship of the same name, but based on what you say, it now seems unlikely that the pub in Charlton was named directly after it.

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
I thought that title went to the (now) Bingley Arms, at Bardsey, rating back, as a 'brewhouse' to 953AD (between Leeds & Wetherby)

Great pub, or was. I drowned a car out in Spear Fir on the way back from there once!

Passed the 'Ship In Distress' this afternoon

Great pub, or was. I drowned a car out in Spear Fir on the way back from there once!
That's a ford, that I don't hear much about nowadays!!
Listed on here, as Scarcroft
http://www.wetroads.co.uk/westyorkshire.htm

subaqua

What’s the point
Walrus and carpenter opposite customs house on lower Thames street. And further up the slope is the hung drawn and quartered.

HF2300

Insanity Prawn Boy
A pub I used to frequent was the Gander on the Green, which got unofficially contracted to The Gangrene.

There wasn't a green remotely close to it either.

Top Bottom