Weird WORDL words

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I picked up a friend yesterday on having CHODE as one of his choices - a word so obscure I hadn't even seen it, as best I can recall - and I speak as a pretty wordy sort of a chap. Set me thinking about odd words WORDL allows/disallows. As surprised as I am that CHODE is on 'The List', I was equally taken aback at reports that it refuses to recognise words like SLAVE and MAORI, which are not only unquestionably valid words in English, but in everyday use.

So, with the BIG caveat to avoid anything relating to today's solution (on any given day) what's the weirdest word you've had either accepted or rejected?

PS 'CHODE'. Look it up if you must...I rather wish I hadn't. :blush:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
This one is hardly weird but rather surprising; "diane." I popped it in as a potential starter weeks ago and to my complete surprise it was accepted. I frequently use it as my first or second word.

"Chode" is acceptable American slang but "slave" is not. America is nuts.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Latin wasnt on the list of acceptable words when i tried to play it.
i do sometimes put in a selection of letters to see if it will accept them. I am often surprised.

Joffey

Big Dosser
Chode is, I believe, an Indian or Pakistani insult.

Lance Armstrong used to use that word as an insult. He described it as a hybrid of Chump and Toad. I once called him it on Twitter and he blocked me but through an intermediary he then unblocked me and now we are best buddies. :laugh:

T4tomo

Guru
I wasn't allowed " chink"

Didn't occur to me that it was a bad word, but apparently it is!
that's a hole in your defence against .....oh hang on..

I did read somewhere that there is a dictionary of allowed guesses in there and a smaller dictionary of correct guesses (i.e many valid words will never be the solution) - don't know why that is. but the allowed guesses presumably has some valid words removed probably to save offending some sensitivities.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member

I did read somewhere that there is a dictionary of allowed guesses in there and a smaller dictionary of correct guesses (i.e many valid words will never be the solution) - don't know why that is. but the allowed guesses presumably has some valid words removed probably to save offending some sensitivities.
There was a chink of light in his defence ^_^

winjim

Smash the cistern
Decidedly odd. Do you suppose it could have been done as some kind of dedication to the unknown girlfriend for whom the thing was created? I really can't think of any other explanation.
The unknown girlfriend is named Palak Shah.

PK99

Legendary Member

I read that the set of possible solution words is smaller than the set of test words as some words would be too hard for most to guess but remain valid as test word if the user knows them

Top Bottom