Well I never! Mad dad's car embroiled in infamy.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

OK sleuths on here, on facebook I keep getting notifications about the VW diesel mpg scam and enter your reg number to claim, I had an Audi A1 1,9tdi, but can't remember the number, i think it was a 13 reg colour grey. I have no paperwork or anything related to the car, how do I find the reg?
On the VW diesel scam make sure that it is not a scam in itself, the date on which you had to make a claim has closed, I thought it was last November.

As to getting the car Reg No. the logical only way is to pay £25 (I think) to DSA

Last edited by a moderator:

Broadside

Guru
Someone on Cycle Chat posted something several weeks/months ago about being able to see if your old car is still on the road, and it showed that my dad's old VW camper was, but was now green. When I looked again recently, I couldn't find the thread, so when idly flicking through the net, I just Googled the number plate of my Dad's van and it turns out it's infamous. If it is still out there, a part of me rather likes the fanciful notion of getting it back into the family. I now have reason think there may be two of them!

No sooner did I search "FOF220L" than a whole host of posts from 2015 came up warning of an E-Bay scam surrounding this very van. The seller gave a very remote village in Wales as his address. (Apparently this makes buyers more likely to agree on delivery instead of visiting the seller). His landline phone number and Facebook page had been deleted and the van was suspiciously cheap. All classic signs of scams. This is what the van looked like in the advert:
View attachment 522337
And here is the real FOF220L some time in the mid 1970's.. My mum is at the wheel, and a teenage @Donger can just be made out on the back seat:
View attachment 522341
And here's another shot with my dad at the wheel, somewhere in the South of Spain:
View attachment 522342
Spot the difference(s)?

I know people make all sorts of alterations to VW campers and often change their colour ... but note the lack of pop-up roof, the lack of front-mounted spare wheel, the different colour number plates and the different side (kitchen) window. Also the sidelights are in a different place and the front bumper is different. That definitely ain't my dad's van. How dare they?(!!) His was much better.
The big difference is that the green one is known as a late bay (high front indicators), the orange one is an early bay with the lower front indicators.

Transporters are however some of the most heavily modified vehicles you will find on the road, the addition of a pop top roof is done to so many and is normally a £5k conversion in itself.

Mr Celine

Discordian
Taken from the MOT history
View attachment 522366
If it was first registered on 01/07/71 it would have a J suffix on the registration number.

FOF 220L, the registration on @Donger 's mad dad's rad bad microbus would have been issued between 01/08/72 and 31/07/73.

It's not permitted to use a registration number that makes a car appear younger than it is. :scratch: A real mystery machine!

Top Bottom