Well it seems the Velothon Wales is no more.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dickyknees

Guru
Quote from an email I had this morning from Velothon Wales:

“Following detailed discussions between the Velothon series owners IRONMAN, the Welsh Government Major Events Unit and local event delivery partners Run4Wales, we can now confirm there are no plans for Velothon Wales to continue in 2019 and beyond.

Despite a successful event in 2018, in which more than 8,000 riders took part across three distances, it is unfortunate that we are unable to find a sustainable model for future events.”

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
:sad:
Done it once this year and would probably have done it again. Shame.

Nomadski

I Like Bikes
Done it 3 times including this year. Really good event, in some ways better than RideLondon. Real shame it can't find financial sustainability / enough profit for the relatively new owners.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Done it 3 times including this year. Really good event, in some ways better than RideLondon. Real shame it can't find financial sustainability / enough profit for the relatively new owners.
Is that what sustainability for an event means? ;)

OP
OP
dickyknees

dickyknees

Guru
Seems the number of riders has dropped from some 15,000 quoted in 2015 to 8,000 for this year.
Big drop income I would have thought, but with the same costs.

OP
OP
dickyknees

dickyknees

Guru
2018 entry fees.

upload_2018-11-22_20-34-44.jpeg

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Flipping heck.
You could do ten Audaxes for that kind of cash!!!

Despite the positive comments from cyclists on forums like this, this event is hugely expensive to organise, with a lot of negativity over the inconvenience and disruption from many of the locals, the vast majority of whom are not cyclists. I congratulate the organisers for organising them and regret their cessation.

I entered two and could not actually ride them because two hospital operations just before each event. I very much regret that I will not now be able to ride this local event along closed roads.

172traindriver

Legendary Member
First time of doing it this year. Unfortunately the last running of it.
Throughly enjoyable weekend down in Cardiff and a great ride. Shame its gone would have liked to have entered again but the logistics and planning for an event of that scale must be a nightmare and probably soon eat into what seems an expensive fee.
A great experience on the closed roads.

172traindriver

Legendary Member
Anyone know did the numbers drop through lack of entries or was it restricted for some other reason?

One of the articles I read seemed to imply numbers had been dropping off.
It mention 12,000 to break even, so if that was the case it would appear it wasnt sustainable.

Top Bottom