Well, I've done it...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
After a few weeks of delay, I have finally rode to work this morning. At first I thought it was 10 miles, but after studying the routes on Google Maps, I have managed to cut it down to 8 miles which is much better.

As some of you may know, I have not rode a bike for over 10+ years so this was an challenge. Here's my endomondo stats. Good? Bad? Average?

Distance: 8:32 miles
Duration: 45m 57s
Avg Speed: 10.9 mph
Max speed: 22.2 mph

Few things I've learnt from this:

1) I need better bike seat!
2) I need better backpack!
3) Don't wear jeans. :smile:
4) Vehicles overtaking me not leaving me enough space - inches between their side mirror and my handlebar is NOT acceptable! :/

Hopefully, over the time I will be learning how to position on the road to protect myself. These cycling videos on YouTube does help. :smile:

I already protect myself on the pinch points, BTW

Thanks all.

Excellent stuff. 10mph is a fine average speed, but for the future calculations that you mention, expect that over the next few months you'll see that notching up towards 13-14mph (depending on the amount of traffic lights you encounter).

to help boost your confidence on the road take a look at our giude

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/12757785/guide.pdf

its full of stuff that'll help for sure.

As others have said, stick with the seat, the first few rides are painful the rest are more comfortable with a slimmer saddle. No jeans (but then you know that) unless they are the super trendy cycle lycra jeans...even then I'm a little doubtful as I don't ride that sort of bike (specifically a Fixie).

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
Well done to Tony Sutton,

I don't regularly commute myself because I'm not in a work profile that readily accommodates bike commuting. Having said that, I recently enjoyed three months of "standing in" in a different capacity and I took advantage of that and commuted by bike. My ride in was a gnat's more than ten miles into Worcester. One perilous island to negotiate, but mostly trouble free, except for the murderous drivers of my local cowboy outfit, Dudley's Coaches. Most other road users were courteous and patient in my experience, but I felt the Dudley's lot would have cheerfully crushed me under their wheels if there were no-one watching.
Anyway, I really enjoyed it, and would cycle in by choice, given the right work pattern. If an opportunity arose, I'd seriously think about changing jobs, even at my later stage of life.

I found my average, without trying to get too hot and steamy to be a whisker over 12mph, carrying laptop, paperwork and a change of clothes. All that stuff went in the basket on my bike, so a knapsack wasn't needed. Enjoy your riding, I did.

Biglad82

Thanks for that! I saw a really tiny picture and didn't realise I could click it :blush:
xHx6I.png
I'll second these. It's like every spoke is lit up when the light reflects. Oh and congrats on the commute

OP
OP
Tony Sutton

Tony Sutton

The stats don't mean too much without knowing the route, but they're certainly nothing to be ashamed of. Neither's having a rest on the way home.
And don't worry, it does get easier. I've found it a fantastic way to start the day.

Thanks. I have given my body a rest and will attempt this perhaps on Monday, just to build it up as I don't want to go full on and destory my body... :biggrin:

OP
OP
Tony Sutton

Tony Sutton

to help boost your confidence on the road take a look at our giude

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/12757785/guide.pdf

its full of stuff that'll help for sure.

That's actually VERY helpful, thank you to whoever contributed to making this guide! This needs to be publised more. Perhaps have that guide included with the welcome e-mail whena user signs up to this forum?

As others have said, stick with the seat, the first few rides are painful the rest are more comfortable with a slimmer saddle. No jeans (but then you know that) unless they are the super trendy cycle lycra jeans...even then I'm a little doubtful as I don't ride that sort of bike (specifically a Fixie).

At the moment, I don't fancy wearing lycra gears... as I currently ride an MTB! :smile: Will have a look for suitable shorts.

Thanks again.

OP
OP
Tony Sutton

Tony Sutton

Again, thank you all for the comments & encouragements. I guess I will stick with the seat for now, but I'm considering changing it in the future anyway as it's about 6 to 8+ years old and the sponge inside it feels a little bit hard.

Is gel seat any good?

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
That's actually VERY helpful, thank you to whoever contributed to making this guide! This needs to be publised more. Perhaps have that guide included with the welcome e-mail whena user signs up to this forum?

At the moment, I don't fancy wearing lycra gears... as I currently ride an MTB! :smile: Will have a look for suitable shorts.

Thanks again.

thanks (:blush:) that's a wonderful idea in principle although in practice, people join these pages to follow many varied cycling activities and, as such sending them the city cycling guide upon registration may come across as a little prescriptive.

We wouldn't want new members to think we are ONLY a commuters forum, afterall:thumbsup: .

Ta though.

J

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Again, thank you all for the comments & encouragements. I guess I will stick with the seat for now, but I'm considering changing it in the future anyway as it's about 6 to 8+ years old and the sponge inside it feels a little bit hard.

Is gel seat any good?
I dont get on with Gel seats...My wife has one and it feels a little uncertain at times. Personally the harder the seat the better in my opinion, too much padding seems to provide opportunities for chaffing and more chronic discomfort.

a 16 mile ride will offer a good opportunity to toughen up your ...(ahem)...contact points. leave it a week or so and see how you go.

Top Bottom