Well, I've done it...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
...and signed up for this:

http://www.justgiving.com/amsterdame08

Cyclebum has kindly supplied me with her India training schedule, any other tips and tricks on what I should be doing to get fit/raise money for the great event? Not too worried about the daily distances (although my current max stands at 48miles, and that was last year :blush:), but doing it 4 days in a row might prove rather tough!

Any other ladies out there that fancy joining and possibly parading the cycle chat jersey? Or for male majority, you could have a go a this instead, although it's probably a bit tame for most of you :smile::

http://charityadventure.org.uk/CharityAdventureApp/amsterslam2008.aspx

frog

Not tame at all. Just because some of us clock up 150+ miles a week doesn't make us any better. You have to remember that it's all familiar roads and familiar traffic patterns. You'll be on unfamiliar roads right from the start.

I can only applaude your courage PP.

The very best of luck to you, and the others as well of course.:smile:

On a slightly different note is it only me that thinks your avtar is wearing a pair of knickers on it's head?

Arch

Married to Night Train
Damn, that sounds fun, But I really have no idea if I'd be able to commit to it, In fact, I think I may be committed elsewhere that weekend.

And it leaves from York! Maybe I can come and wave you off!

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
Tynan, sorry, I just deleted your post by accident as I had edited it instead of quoted and then pressed the wrong button!!!!! Sorry, don't know how to get it back :tongue:

But yes, it does look good fun, although slightly scary. As for the mileage you asked about, it's all there on the first link!!! Read it properly :tongue: About 250miles in total over the four days for Amsterdame :ohmy:, although the Amsterslam is slightly longer I think (but might be wrong)

Arch, feel free to wave us off - preferably with a giant knitted mascot!!! :ohmy: Although I do think you should just come along!!!!

And my avatar does NOT wear knickers, possum just happens to have big ears!:ohmy:

Christopher

Über Member
Nice one, punky and the girls! I shall sort out a donation. You should make Charlotte Vice-President of Fundraising and Negotiation.

You should really train though. That 68-mile day is going to be hard. Will you still be on your Trek?

I'd see you lot off at York too, though I may be in Scotland then. Anyway, good luck!

Arch

Married to Night Train
punkypossum said:
Arch, feel free to wave us off - preferably with a giant knitted mascot!!! :tongue: Although I do think you should just come along!!!!

If I can't be there, I'll knit a little teddy to carry on your handlbars, in Cyclechat jersey colours....:tongue:

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I'd love to do this but am hoarding all my days off for the big trip in the summer. It sounds brilliant.

I'd happily join Arch waving you off from York though!!! Although I'll then sulk all weekend I'm not doing it :tongue:

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
Frustruck said:
Nice one, punky and the girls! I shall sort out a donation. You should make Charlotte Vice-President of Fundraising and Negotiation.

You should really train though. That 68-mile day is going to be hard. Will you still be on your Trek?

I'd see you lot off at York too, though I may be in Scotland then. Anyway, good luck!

Yes, I will be - a new bike definitely isn't happening unless I win the lottery, which is unlikely considering I havn't got a ticket.

Seriously though, do you think the trek will be a problem (For those of you that don't know, it's a 4300)? I will put slick tyres on obviously... One of my friends did it last year on a giant xtc with slicks and apparently some of the people then were on supermarket mountain bikes with dual suspension, although admittedly they did struggle... The only thing I was worried about is that I can't lock out the fork, but that is fairly stiff anyway... Will the bike be ok?;)

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
Cathryn said:
I'd love to do this but am hoarding all my days off for the big trip in the summer. It sounds brilliant.

I'd happily join Arch waving you off from York though!!! Although I'll then sulk all weekend I'm not doing it ;)

Ah, but you would only need one day - the monday is a bank holiday anyway!!! :tongue:

Christopher

Über Member
You should be fine, Punky, as you'll have trained lots by then. It would be ideal if you could borrow some lightweight 26" wheels (I could only lend you some 700c Campag wheels, not much point) but that's not necessary. Slicks are the most important thing. Also you'll be in the company of your friends and the miles should just float by (especially if you draft them!).

punkypossum said:
Seriously though, do you think the trek will be a problem (For those of you that don't know, it's a 4300)? Will the bike be ok?;)

Punky!
Reassure yourself that your bike will be fine. One of mine is a Trek 4400 and not too disimilar to yours. I bought it in Spain three years ago and, with knobbly tyres, went out and kept up with my two mates who had road bikes (OK, they were a 'bit' older than me) but had no problems doing 60 - 80 km loops.
Keep the tyres well-inflated and you'll cruise it! :tongue:

I promised to sponsor you, let me have details as to how I can send you the money.

Good luck with your preparations.

Top Bottom