Well now I know...all cyclist accidents are our own fault!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

soulful dog

Veteran
I think there is a fine line between "being aware" of other road users and trying to second-guess what they might do. This is a hypothetical example now, so as not to offend the OP's injured pal. But if the cyclist coming down the hill were to slow down then surely that might encourage the driver to make the turn rather than waiting? What I mean is, apart from being aware and covering your brakes, I don't think cyclists should slow down in situations like this on the off-chance that a car might make a wrong/impatient maneuvre.

Does anyone agree, or do you think my opinioin might change if I get hit one day?
I think you are spot on. Though who knows whether the driver didn't see him or did but misjudged his speed?

It is a fine line, but just always be wary. I've been hit by a lorry, the driver "just didn't see me", my brother was hit while on a roundabout by a car driver who just didn't see him. I've been the guilty party once too, a motorbike had to swerve when I started to pull out at a junction because I just didn't see him. When I first looked, didn't see him at all, as I took a second glance I saw him at the last minute when I just started to pull out.

As Ian Cooper posted above "So far, I've never gone wrong assuming that my fellow road users are all drooling imbeciles". That's a good outlook immaterial of whether you are in a car, cycling or crossing the road on foot.

And as PpPete just posted, there definitely is an issue with car drivers thinking cyclists are somehow less important and shouldn't be in their way at all.....

D

Deleted member 20519

Why did I Google 'degloved'? WHY?!

hey guys,
I get the point you are making and agree largely with what you say. In my home road, on a slope, all of the local cars park on one side. This means that when I am returning from my usual ride I am coming up hill and have the right of way as the parked cars are on the other side of the road. Daily I almost get taken out. Not by people coming from behind as you would expect. But from idiots who look down the road and think it is their right of way. They may do this for many reasons but in my mind it just boils down to "I am not going to slow down or be late for a cyclist going 12 mph up a hill, why should I?" The point they all miss is that THE LAW says it is my right of way.

The OP's mate should always be cautious but why, if he was on a straight road and visible (High viz jacket, lights, etc) should he think for one second that he should give way to this lady? I reckon she saw him and probably could judge his speed, MAYBE, but just thought like the rest of them......... I'm more important than a bike. I've got to get the kids, the dinner on, the hair done, pick my mates up or whatever.

Due to my own aforementioned problems with traffic and threads on here which show SOOOOOOO many people in cars (and on bikes) abusing our road system, I think someone should champion a petition or something for parliament to allow a law whereby if video proof (a cyclist camera helmet for example) can be shown of a vehicle going through a red light or down a road and not giving way correctly etc etc then the police can issue a fixed penalty fine and one or two points reduction on a licence, or removal and crushing of a persons bike if they are a cyclist.Maybe my punishments are extreme but you get the idea. Something needs to be done. After all after the last post I also went on google and found degloved and I would not want that pain.xx(

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
There is no 'right of way' legally in that sense, but HC Rule 162 states that you should give way to oncoming vehicles before passing parked vehicles or other obstructions on your side of the road.

That aside, I know I've had cars drive at me in similar situations as they think they can bully me out of the way. My response of taking primary and staring straight at them is probably not the most sensible, but I'm not good at letting bullies win.

Another one I find annoying is that 9/10 drivers will wave thanks if I let them through an obstruction when I'm driving, whereas I'd be surprised if it was more than 2/10 when I do the same thing cycling. Often it's the same drivers in the same places.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've got a narrow stretch - parked the other side on my way to school with my youngest and regularly get a range of reactions to being met by an on-coming car, including driving straight at us, point at me and the path, and the stand off where I've sat there and looked at them in a puzzled way. I wait opposite a gap, and let the car pull in there but I've seen some suggest I pull into the gap instead. Last week I ended up having to reverse - (extremely awkwardly of course;)) and pointed out to the cars that bikes don't have a reverse gear.

Back to the OP - do you know if the car driver was prosecuted?

OP
OP
TonyEnjoyD

TonyEnjoyD

Guru
I've got a narrow stretch - parked the other side on my way to school with my youngest and regularly get a range of reactions to being met by an on-coming car, including driving straight at us, point at me and the path, and the stand off where I've sat there and looked at them in a puzzled way. I wait opposite a gap, and let the car pull in there but I've seen some suggest I pull into the gap instead. Last week I ended up having to reverse - (extremely awkwardly of course;)) and pointed out to the cars that bikes don't have a reverse gear.

Back to the OP - do you know if the car driver was prosecuted?
Hi summer days, yes, the police are prosecuting - due care and attention I believe, also the guys wife is a solicitor so waiting until next year to assess the initial and long term damage and effects before posting the PI claim.

Funk My Fixie, it wasnt a full deglove thankfully. I am led to believe from about an inch above his eye down to mid-cheek and across toward his nose.

Top Bottom