well off the boil!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lucydog8

THE RIBBLE VALLEY HOOTER!!
Hi everyone.
I started my 12 year cycling comeback training in march, i had been swimming quite regularly in the cycling retirement years, so i was not to unfit for 67 year old, also i did over 100 continous spinning sessions at the local gym prior to buying & riding my new bike in early march.
All through the summer i met up with long standing ex cycling friends and went on cafe rides with them ,& i could reasonably old my own with the company , i aiso introduced my old time trial route that i used to hammer round when i was racing in my younger days, its quite a hilly route and my best time ever was 47minutes, in july i was going around in 52 minutes & i had room for improvement , but this is my question !, ever since then i have been going backwards daily , and now i am at a very pedestrian speed.
ok i chilled out a bit & on past years when i had a busy year t/t i would drop off about october & make a comeback for the xmas 25.
But while i dont feel ill , i feel very lethargic , as anyone a clue or advice they can give me so that i can get ready to pick the pace up a bit for spring next year, im not a total novice at this game & did achieve to go under the hour occasionally.
9 months down the line & im thinking about retirement ,which i dont want to do as i feel this is probably my last chance since i got back in to a bit of shape.
Im picking my days when to go for a 25 mile winter ride , & i have re-started my 64 length swim in a morning , now in to my second week & its not going to bad, just steady lengths , not really clock watching , but about 33 mins.
I feel at the moment that i am just starting out to learn to ride again !, infact it feels a lot harder than that even after the 4k miles achieved since march.
Help please.

reacher

Can you rule out a medical problem, I assume you have been to doctor ?

OP
OP
L

lucydog8

THE RIBBLE VALLEY HOOTER!!
yes i have certain medical problems that i have had for multiple years .
and yes i have thought of going to the doctors , but other than my existing complaints nothing as changed ,infact i have a appointment towards the month end with a shoulder complaint with a new doctor, do you think she will listen to me if i say my training on my bikes not going to well?.i suppose she may check me over.

I am quite a bit younger than you but I have a friend who is a similar age, he was a multiple LVRC road race champion, when he hit 66 his performance dropped off a cliff and he has raced continuously since he was 14.He has put it down to age and abusing his body with sport for decades. Maybe its just age?. Sorry the post is not any practical help but you sound very fit for a 67 yr old maybe just need to change your expectations.

reacher

Yea, don't mention the bike problem their stock answer is, well stop doing it then, however first call for me would get some benifet from your tax dollars and get a check up, at least elimanate problems like a vitamin deffinciacy, blood problem etc just tell them you are starting to feel like you just described leave out the bit about your training on the bike, then at least you will know its a training load problem, congratulations as well on training at that age keep up the good work

Top Bottom