Well this fixed lark is doing the world of good

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Think its been about a month and half since i started riding fixed and apart from yesterdays butt clenching experiences on two roundabouts its been great. I feel really fit, lost over half a stone already ( still eating all the pies as well ) Finding the 42x16 gearing good now, hills are becoming easier, reckon by spring I might have to up the gearing :blush: and my route ain`t flat either so whatever i`m doing its working !!

keep it going Mrgrumpy. by the way what bike do you have?

bianco

Nice one, wait till you get back on gears, you'll fly.

I found after a couple of months I wanted to up my inches, but found it natural to increase my cadence, I'm now at about 110 all the time and I feel great!

bianco

bonj said:
Why wait?
Why not just get back on gears now, then you can 'fly' even sooner?

Quite simply bonj, you'll loose the extra fitness you'd have gained if you simply remain on gears. However I do believe gears are best for the longer runs, I don't have the stamina in my muscles yet and require the gears to break the workload for me for anything over 30 miles.

Mind you it is a quite complex idea to grasp...................:eek:

yello

Sod fitness! I just like riding fixed!!

I've been riding fixed regularly for around a year now and now prefer it to geared. I've found I've learnt how to rest whilst riding and will quite happily be out for a solid 2 to 3 hours, doing around 60 or 70 km without feeling it afterwards. You don't need to push it - it'll come! A metaphor for riding fixed generally!

simonali

Guru
I'd kinda like to try this fixed lark, but don't have a bike to do it with, which means a purchase of one. What is putting me off is the thought of my little leggys going round at 300rpm going down hills. I think this would annoy me, but I guess you don't get the wonderful feeling of being at one with your bike, that seems to be conveyed by fixed converts, with a freewheeling single speed?

Graham O

The only alternative to high speed legs is to keep the brakes on :ohmy:. With fixed you do lose the fun of a high speed descent, but if the gradient is right, you get the benefit of a high speed ascent. That may sound wrong, but it comes in time.

You don't need to buy a new bike, just get a fixed back wheel and put it on. Disable or remove the gears from your bike for a few weeks and see how you get on. I've never put my gears back on :wacko:

bonj2

Chuffy said:
Buy one of these. Nowt wrong with going single-speed and having the benefit of a freewheel. Don't let this lot baffle you with their fixie-zen cobblers. :blush:

werd. I see posties trundling along with them on, although i suspect that it's because PO standard issue bikes have got hub gears rather than single speed.

bonj said:
werd. I see posties trundling along with them on, although i suspect that it's because PO standard issue bikes have got hub gears rather than single speed.
Really? How odd. The new (in 2004) RM bikes had a five speed hub gear. I don't recall them having, or needing, a chain tensioner. Oh well.

Top Bottom