Went for a ride this morning: Heart monitor only at 68bmp?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Went for a cycle today. Cycled for .40miles then had to walk up hill since I'm unfit.

The monitor was fine to begin with, but then it didn't always work when I was on the bike for some reason. (It just read '--.--' on the garmin)

Any reason why ?

Ride: https://www.strava.com/activities/1498385982/analysis

Attachments

• no heart.jpg
    no heart.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 52

si_c

Guru
Battery?

screenman

Legendary Member
Battery, regardless of how often it has been worn. Mind you the Garmin chest strap I had was useless, a lot of us have swapped for the Polar strap with the same connections.

boydj

Legendary Member
Chest strap getting a bad connection? Dampen slightly and make sure it is secure just below the sternum.

OP
OP
F
Connected speed sensor yesterday. Thought that might have something to do with it, but obviously not.

I tightened the strap a few times because it kept falling down.

If it is the battery then I won't be pleased because it hasn't been used much.

si_c

Guru
They sometimes come with cheap and terrible batteries, I keep a set of Duracell ones around for my HR strap and speed sensors.

Tommy2

Über Member
I'm on a second heart rate monitor as I changed the battery and strap on the first which was giving inconsistent readings, this on is doing the same so think I may try a polar strap.
The straps have been a genuine Garmin premium, a cheap version which looked exactly the same and an older Garmin one.

Ajax Bay

Guru
they always work better when connection is damp
Give both electrodes (on the strap) a good lick before fitting. If that doesn't get you a decent contact, a finger swipe of water (or saliva) under each nipple and refit the strap will do the trick.
But given the OP's heart recorded to start with (for a mile), I'd be surprised if poor contact was the reason for the 'flatlining' at about 80bpm. Strap slipped down (but then I'd expect periods of no reading. As @boydj has said: sensibly tensioned strap fitted across the chest at the height of the sternum.

Top Bottom