Went i did my first commute yesterday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Yeah well there you go,im a newbie lol.so what gears do i use when i on a flat surface?
Usually biggest ring on the front, middle to small on the back, but really it's whatever lets you keep spinning the pedals between just under 1 and 2 turns a second with a bit of pressure without straining your knees. Mine varies a lot with my health and the weather. Some days it'll be easy to reach top gear, others I won't even make it into the big front gear.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yeah the hills are from when im coming back from west to east but maybe i took a bad route im not too sure i just followed google maps.

If you put up your route, others may have a suggestion for maybe a better one.

Your pedalling force should be fairly light when just cruising along. Pick a gear that allows light easy pedalling at 60rpm or quicker. Lower gears let you accelerate out of danger if you need to. Lower your gears as you come to a stop so you are setup for a quick getaway at junctions.
As you get the hang of gears you will be able to use them more effectively but fot now just get in any gear that feels right.

OP
OP
T

Trekman083637

Regular
Your pedalling force should be fairly light when just cruising along. Pick a gear that allows light easy pedalling at 60rpm or quicker. Lower gears let you accelerate out of danger if you need to. Lower your gears as you come to a stop so you are setup for a quick getaway at junctions.
As you get the hang of gears you will be able to use them more effectively but fot now just get in any gear that feels right.
Ohhh ok yh for now ill just use whatever gear feels good i guess

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
He's going from Leyton to Marylebone as per other thread...not sure what big hills there are going East to West (or vice versa), I thought it was all pretty flat from East to Central London following the Thames (unless it's a pesky flyover/bridge over a main road!)?
Following the Thames would be a detour south, isn't it? I thought probably Quietway 2 was involved and the city end of that (Margery Street) heading east is definitely a hill to a new rider, climbing up from whichever buried river it is (maybe River Fleet). Maybe the old Seven Stations Link and C23 Lea Bridge Road are the rest of a good route.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I dont know what bike you have or your gear ratios but here goes :smile:
my average cadence for a ride is 80 rpm so faster on the flat , slower on the hills , i use a standard compact chainset ( 50/34) with an 11-28 cassette on the back
on the flat im aiming for 20 mph on the commuter at 80 rpm thats a 50 front and 16 on the back so mid cassette
https://www.bikecalc.com/speed_at_cadence

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
T

Trekman083637

Regular
Following the Thames would be a detour south, isn't it? I thought probably Quietway 2 was involved and the city end of that (Margery Street) heading east is definitely a hill to a new rider, climbing up from whichever buried river it is (maybe River Fleet). Maybe the old Seven Stations Link and C23 Lea Bridge Road are the rest of a good route.
Yeah ur probably right,it was just steep but here were quite a few steep parts which got me tired

OP
OP
T

Trekman083637

Regular
I dont know what bike you have or your gear ratios but here goes :smile:
my average cadence for a ride is 80 rpm so faster on the flat , slower on the hills , i use a standard compact chainset ( 50/34) with an 11-28 cassette on the back
on the flat im aiming for 20 mph on the commuter at 80 rpm thats a 50 front and 16 on the back so mid cassette
https://www.bikecalc.com/speed_at_cadence
Thanks for the advice but i got lost with all the bike talk and rpm and stuff😂😂.ill look it up to try understand this better

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Thanks for the advice but i got lost with all the bike talk and rpm and stuff😂😂.ill look it up to try understand this better
rpm / cadence is the speed you pedal :smile: as said above a lot of folk when starting try to push a big gear slowly thinking they are going fast but all you tend to do is tire your legs out and struggle on hills.My rule of thumb before i got a cadence sensor ( dont use it for commuting ) was can i select an easier gear and go just as fast comfortably ?
Rule for the right cadence :smile:

Legs hurt ? go for an easier gear?
Lungs /heart ? harder gear ?
Both hurt ? About right :smile:

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
That's my excuse for spending money on building another bike. If I'm honest, it's just because I want to build another bike...

I was forever buying tat for the bike. Lights, mitts, gloves -- a whole bucket load of accessories and clothing. It was like a disease. I would have saved up for another bike though but somebody i live with got very very angry when my second bike got delivered :laugh:

I couldnt chance losing my hearing again.:wacko:

icowden

Veteran

It might be worth playing with Strava routes. I plotted a general Leyton to Marylebone route on RideWithGPS and on Strava. Strava was able to reduce the elevation (number of hills) by half by taking a very slightly longer route but going much further south rather than going through islington which is an uphill grind as far as I can see.

Top Bottom