Went i did my first commute yesterday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
If you recorded on Strava you can also use Strava routes to see a heatmap that shows you where most people cycle.
No, it'll show you where Strava clients cycle, which is not exactly the same thing. In my experience, it tends to underestimate use of urban routes where you can't ride as fast, for various reasons, including the route being busy with cyclists!

OP
OP
T

Trekman083637

Regular
rpm / cadence is the speed you pedal :smile: as said above a lot of folk when starting try to push a big gear slowly thinking they are going fast but all you tend to do is tire your legs out and struggle on hills.My rule of thumb before i got a cadence sensor ( dont use it for commuting ) was can i select an easier gear and go just as fast comfortably ?
Rule for the right cadence :smile:

Legs hurt ? go for an easier gear?
Lungs /heart ? harder gear ?
Both hurt ? About right :smile:
Haha thanks thats alot clearer

OP
OP
T

Trekman083637

Regular
It might be worth playing with Strava routes. I plotted a general Leyton to Marylebone route on RideWithGPS and on Strava. Strava was able to reduce the elevation (number of hills) by half by taking a very slightly longer route but going much further south rather than going through islington which is an uphill grind as far as I can see.
Yeah ill have to check strava out

richmace

Regular
Yeah well there you go,im a newbie lol.so what gears do i use when i on a flat surface?

I always pick a gear that allows me to cycle at a comfortable rate. I.e one that I could maintain for miles.

If my pedalling rate drops, I change down a gear. If it increases, I change up a gear.

I have three front gears. I use them as follows:

Gear 1 - really steep hills.
Gear 2 - slight hills.
Gear 3 - Flat / downhill.

With regards to getting used to commuting, I went from no cycling to cycling the 15 mile round trip to work and back in about 6 weeks. I am not overly fit either.

I started off at twice a week, and built it up slowly to 5 days over the course of 6 weeks.

I really needed those rest days. Now I can commute 5 days per week with no issue.

I also found that a soft seat helped dramatically…

Your body will adapt if you build up slowly.

OP
OP
T

Trekman083637

Regular
I always pick a gear that allows me to cycle at a comfortable rate. I.e one that I could maintain for miles.

If my pedalling rate drops, I change down a gear. If it increases, I change up a gear.

I have three front gears. I use them as follows:

Gear 1 - really steep hills.
Gear 2 - slight hills.
Gear 3 - Flat / downhill.

With regards to getting used to commuting, I went from no cycling to cycling the 15 mile round trip to work and back in about 6 weeks. I am not overly fit either.

I started off at twice a week, and built it up slowly to 5 days over the course of 6 weeks.

I really needed those rest days. Now I can commute 5 days per week with no issue.

I also found that a soft seat helped dramatically…

Your body will adapt if you build up slowly.
Yh thats really smart to start up slowly ive just been going everyday and i feel it getting easier.i did have a rest on wedneaday cox i was off which i did need since it was my first commute there and back.i think i gotten thr hang of gears now i mostly just stick to 2 and change the gear at the back normally.

Yh thats really smart to start up slowly ive just been going everyday and i feel it getting easier.i did have a rest on wedneaday cox i was off which i did need since it was my first commute there and back.i think i gotten thr hang of gears now i mostly just stick to 2 and change the gear at the back normally.

That's what I do most of the time. It works pretty well...

OP
OP
T

Trekman083637

Regular
Yep if you aren't tackling any steep / long hills where a smaller front ring is needed.
Ohhh right

vickster

Legendary Member
But on hills, go with a gear that you can maintain a decent cadence and don't feel that you are mashing the pedals and your knees/quads really hard

Do you have a Strava profile of your ride as I'm not sure if there are really any big hills on that commute?

Top Bottom