We're screwed, aren't we?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well it most certainly was not you.
Wanna bet? That entry was something I did many years ago, in order to help out a friend, who was studying for a degree in nuclear physics. I was ( and still am ) bound by regs about what exactly I can disclose. But this was deemed acceptable. I could go chapter and verse about Tannu / strannu design, but that really wouldn’t be a good idea.

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Wanna bet? That entry was something I did many years ago, in order to help out a friend, who was studying for a degree in nuclear physics. I was ( and still am ) bound by regs about what exactly I can disclose. But this was deemed acceptable. I could go chapter and verse about Tannu / strannu design, but that really wouldn’t be a good idea.

Great, tomorrow I'll look at the complete edit history for the entry and see what else you've done on wiki.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner

So I've already had a look to see who created the article and the name does not match yours as revealed on the Ride London thread , and it wasn't done in this country. How do you explain that?

midlife

Guru
AFAIK the taxpayer funded most of it back in the day - so not free at all. Only free at the point of access.

Can the NHS claim that treatment is free even if we all know its paid for by the taxpayer?

Prescription1.jpg

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Interesting thread. I suppose it ought to be!? Humans as over-using, over-consuming(me), wasteful, polluting etc as we are, we have one important trait worth considering and that is our ability to change and adapt. A tiger for example has no hope in changing, it hunts, it rests, it reproduces... We CAN indeed change. But before we do we need to remove systemic hypocrisy from our lives. Massive corporations tell us to change and donate often to good humanitarian causes, but then want us to buy their latest and greatest new product every year in most instances, which has probably been made with materials mined and made from all over the world, shipped around, assembled then shipped again... Apple's revenue is around that of the country of Finland. To what end? Is it rampant consumerism? Or rampant capitalism? Can we not resist it? Another is population reduction. There is of course merit in the logic but the one child policy of China wasn't without it's huge sociological issues which in part was hindered by traditions of the nation. But more immediately we need to consume less. For example, if the population of China was to consume like the population of the USA do, they'd require all the oil produced daily in world for China alone. By simply consuming and wasting less we could have a profound effect on pollutants in the Sea, Ground and Atmosphere. It's never too late, im giving it a go...

iandg

Legendary Member
I blame Thatcher ;)

My first degree was biological sciences (focused on conservation and ecology). I couldn't get a 'green' job in the 80s so took a trainee role in a hospital lab and retrained.

Last edited:
1956 for me and 1963 for Lovely Wife.

History suggests that we generally sort most things out although I do think that the things that need sorting out are getting tougher to fix.

On the other hand, here, we have retreated into our own little bubble to a certain extent as we are tired of certain shifts in society - we don't like social media 24/7 intrusion, mobile phone addiction, the way that 'causes' are being rammed down our throats both above and below the radar, populistic politics. We also watch limited TV, and particularly dislike 'celebrity' & 'shouty' TV and we limit our exposure the The News etc.

Whilst we don't want our lives to end anytime soon we sometimes think that we really don't want to be involved too far into the future if this is the way things continue to go.
Exactly this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom