We're screwed, aren't we?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
Globally we've got temperatures rising, we've got sea levels rising, we've got plants and animals going extinct and we've got a population that is already too large and is growing quickly, and the Amazon is on fire, to an extent that scientists are saying may be critical.

Nationally we've got a nation divided over membership of the EU and a government that seems hell bent on delivering the absolute worst case resolution that we were promised would never happen.

I'm kind of wondering what the point is, to be honest. We're killing off life on earth globally, and the UK government seems to want to turn us into a banana republic that can't import bananas. I can't see it ending well in the short term, the medium term or the long term. And it's raining.

How do fellow CCers feel about the state of things?

D

Deleted member 26715

I think things are just dandy although I do have some sand in my eyes

Drago

Legendary Member
I'll pass on the politics bit - politics is a matter of opinions, not absolutes.

As for the planet and biosphere, yeah, were screwed. You know were screwed when the pop up on the Guardians websites exjorts us to support their fight to save the planet, but their motoring page marks the 3008 SUV as good for the school run.

Even the people that preach to us dont bother following their own advice, leaving no example for the masses to follow. The few that dont need to be told to make these lifestyle changes arent enough to make a difference.

I reckon 100, maybe 150 years tops, and the planet will either be uninhabitable, or some kind of extinction event will have reduced our species to tiny bands if survivors.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Globally we've got temperatures rising, we've got sea levels rising, we've got plants and animals going extinct and we've got a population that is already too large and is growing quickly, and the Amazon is on fire, to an extent that scientists are saying may be critical.

Nationally we've got a nation divided over membership of the EU and a government that seems hell bent on delivering the absolute worst case resolution that we were promised would never happen.

I'm kind of wondering what the point is, to be honest. We're killing off life on earth globally, and the UK government seems to want to turn us into a banana republic that can't import bananas. I can't see it ending well in the short term, the medium term or the long term. And it's raining.

How do fellow CCers feel about the state of things?
Do you read The Observer or something?

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
Do you read The Observer or something?
I try to avoid the news as much as possible because there appears to be no good news. God, I sound like Martin Lewis (the newsreader, not the money guy) now.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I don't think Brexit will herald the end of the world as we know it and we can always bring the bananas in from Venezuela when Jezza becomes PM and sorts everything out for us.
By then there won't be any cars on the road apart from the political elite so greenhouse gases will decline to acceptable levels.

Drago

Legendary Member

Brains

Legendary Member
The entire population of the Roman Empire was less than the population of England (not UK) today.

In order for us to survive the next millennium or two we need to reduce World population by over 80%.
From >8 billion, to <1 billion
The last time we had a under 1 billion population was 1800

In order to get to that number we need mother nature to produce a plague with a 10% survival rate, or a meteor strike with a similar survival rate.

A nuclear war followed by a nuclear winter I doubt would kill off enough of the population, and I don't see a Chinese 'one child' type of policy being enforced globally for long enough
(A 'One Child' policy would need to be ruthlessly enforced globally for a couple of centuries to be effective, which would cause all sorts of other issues)

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
If the American military were a country, it would rank as 6th in the rankings for greenhouse gas producers, well ahead of Denmark. Not even a country, a single organisation. I wonder how much Apple are responsible for?

Dave7

Legendary Member
Life is good ^_^. I have just enjoyed a plate of chips with mushroom and onion gravy plus bread n butter......and a large glass of wine.

But on a serious note. I have no wish to pop my clogs but I am glad I will not be here 50 years down the line. I am with @Drago on this, I cant see it surviving much longer.
If you just take the Amazon.......its all about greed and this generation (of those in power) are really not interested in two generations down the line.
Some religions say god will step in. Well, if there is a god he/she had better move quickly.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
If the American military were a country, it would rank as 6th in the rankings for greenhouse gas producers, well ahead of Denmark. Not even a country, a single organisation. I wonder how much Apple are responsible for?
I read somewhere that, in six years, 25% of all the world's electricity would be accounted for by mobile phone communications and internet servers. Perhaps we had all better shut up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom