We're screwed, aren't we?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
I remember as a kid talking to an adult about - what was then - an emerging threat of 'greenhouse gasses' He was quite old and wise in appearance, and he told me that every generation thinks theirs will be the last - that some disaster will come. His generation had assumed there would be a nuclear war before they got old, and it sounded convincing. His argument was that it's natural to catastrophise things, to assume it will all go to shoot - but that actually the fact that there is human history at all suggests otherwise. But what is happening now feels like, if not the end, then at least the beginning of the end.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Brexit is a ripple compared to the tsunami of environmental issues. I don't see the human race ever getting to grips with the environmental problems and sorting them out.

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
Life is good ^_^. I have just enjoyed a plate of chips with mushroom and onion gravy plus bread n butter......and a large glass of wine.

But on a serious note. I have no wish to pop my clogs but I am glad I will not be here 50 years down the line.

And that's depressing me too - I look a the kid, and I look at the world she's been born on to, and her love of wild animals and forests, and I feel awful that what she's being handed is a world that's knackered beyond repair, because generations prior to her did nothing.

classic33

Leg End Member
And that's depressing me too - I look a the kid, and I look at the world she's been born on to, and her love of wild animals and forests, and I feel awful that what she's being handed is a world that's knackered beyond repair, because generations prior to her did nothing.
That's true of every generation though.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Some religions say god will step in. Well, if there is a god he/she had better move quickly.
Unfortunately he gave us free will to live our lives the way we have so it’s our own fault. I’m not overly religious, but if mankind had even followed the one commandment of loving our neighbour like ourselves, how much nicer a world we could be living in. We broke it so I think we have to fix it, but with the current greed, corruption and love of short term power, that’s not going to happen I fear.

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
All starting to sound like the plot from a Ben Elton book

But seriously, we are not screwed! Our children, and our children's children are the ones that will face the breakdown.
Yeah - I have guilt about that. I reckon my generation was perhaps the very last one that could and should have done something, and now I have a kid that will have to deal with it.

I think the OP means "we" as in the human race.
Yeah, that. Exactly.

classic33

Leg End Member
I read somewhere that, in six years, 25% of all the world's electricity would be accounted for by mobile phone communications and internet servers. Perhaps we had all better shut up.
Didn't they say "it's good to talk"?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I think the OP means "we" as in the human race.
I was being a little facetious. But even now, WE, the people that have to make the tough decisions (or not make them as it usually happens) are not the ones that will suffer the worst if we fail.

I can't decide what will happen when civilisation collapses. Will it be years of chaos and fighting, a bit like Mad Max but real and worse. Or, will it be some kind of huge illness or natural disaster that wipes out massive portions of humankind in one rapid cut, leaving small bands of survivors to return to a pre-industrial existence where they live off the land in balance and harmony?

Dave7

Legendary Member
Unfortunately he gave us free will to live our lives the way we have so it’s our own fault. I’m not overly religious, but if mankind had even followed the one commandment of loving our neighbour like ourselves, how much nicer a world we could be living in. We broke it so I think we have to fix it, but with the current greed, corruption and love of short term power, that’s not going to happen I fear.
You sound like an ex JW??

tom73

Guru
If the American military were a country, it would rank as 6th in the rankings for greenhouse gas producers, well ahead of Denmark. Not even a country, a single organisation. I wonder how much Apple are responsible for?

Apple are trying more than most carbon footprint is 35% down since 2015, all buildings, stores and data centres are running off 100% renewables , amount of energy apple products use are coming down too. My MacBook pro is great at saving and using energy.
It's all here if you want to know https://www.apple.com/uk/environment/our-approach/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom