We're screwed, aren't we?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I can't decide what will happen when civilisation collapses. Will it be years of chaos and fighting, a bit like Mad Max but real and worse. Or, will it be some kind of huge illness or natural disaster that wipes out massive portions of humankind in one rapid cut, leaving small bands of survivors to return to a pre-industrial existence where they live off the land in balance and harm

I too have often said the same , sort of a cross between mad max and the existence seen in the terminator films (without the time travel)
I hope it isnt too late for mankind but I fear it is. I thought about stuff like this a lot when my children were born , and even more since my grandaughter was born.

I have often thought , is this second time around for humankind ,has life on earth been wiped out once already, only to start again when conditions are right

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again.

Wanna save the planet? Stop breeding.

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again.

Wanna save the planet? Stop breeding.
We stopped at 1, reasoning that when we die, the OH and I will have been replaced by a single person. I fear that even if everyone did that, it would not be enough.

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
I too have often said the same , sort of a cross between mad max and the existence seen in the terminator films (without the time travel)
I hope it isnt too late for mankind but I fear it is. I thought about stuff like this a lot when my children were born , and even more since my grandaughter was born.

I have often thought , is this second time around for humankind ,has life on earth been wiped out once already, only to start again when conditions are right
Life on earth was almost wiped out by the KT event - it took out c.75% of life on earth. But there is no evidence that human-like creatures have evolved twice.

We’re actually in an ice age at present ( well strictly speaking at the moment the Earth is in an interglacial period - a short warmer period between glacial (or ice age) periods) and on the cooling side of the slope. Anything mankind can do to warm things up, will only be superficial, Mother Nature will cool it down much more, in the long run.

Last edited:

tom73

Guru
Once it was a case of walking blindly into the unknown. Now we are running flat out towards it wide eyed and still no action.

Drago

Legendary Member
We’re actually in an ice age at present ( well strictly speaking at the moment the Earth is in an interglacial period - a short warmer period between glacial (or ice age) periods) and on the cooling side of the slope. Anything mankind can do to warm things up, will only be superficial, Mother Nature will cool it down much more, in the long run.

We may not be here to see it.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Unfortunately he gave us free will to live our lives the way we have so it’s our own fault. I’m not overly religious, but if mankind had even followed the one commandment of loving our neighbour like ourselves, how much nicer a world we could be living in. We broke it so I think we have to fix it, but with the current greed, corruption and love of short term power, that’s not going to happen I fear.
The bible also tells us to go forth and multiply, which we have enthusiastically done and now look where it's got us.

Governments, are very good at using rhetoric / propaganda, in order to attempt to exert control over the people who they govern. They can also spin it to try and make arguments for charging everyone more money ( and call it ‘green taxes’). The scientific facts do not agree with a lot of the political propaganda. The earth is heading into another proper ice age, man made global warming can’t compete, so that’s a huge political argument / reason to tax more gone. The thing with the Amazonian rain forest fires is laughable as well. Without any human interference, the rain forests would be subject to mass fires anyway, they are naturally built / configured to adapt, and they will. Fires are actually part of a natural cycle. In fact without fires, things would be more out of kilter, if anything.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Humans will manage to survive for a long long time yet. We in Britain live pretty comfortably in one of the most temperate zones of the planet but others manage to survive in much hotter, drier areas. If desertification spreads a few thousand miles further from the Equator it will make a difference but we will survive, although I reckon by that time most humans will have been wiped out in a nuculur armageddon or by some viral or bacterial plague.

Once 95% of the humans are gone the Earth will recover very fast indeed.

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
Humans will manage to survive for a long long time yet. We in Britain live pretty comfortably .
by using resources from all over the world - but if, for example, crops start to fail, the price of everything will go up, and it won't be so comfortable then. I don't want my kid to grow up in a world without enough food.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom