West Coast of Scotland in 9 days

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Alternative suggestion is to get the train from Glasgow to the Arran ferry, cycle around/across Arran, come off at the Lochranza ferry and head to Islay or up to Oban for the Mull ferry and as per original plan.

Edit: Already suggested I just saw. That's two of us then :biggrin:

Matt2matt2002

I have taken that Arran Lochranza ferry 3 times.
Or rather tried too!On 2 of the ocasions it was cancelled due to bad weather:cry:
It's a flat bottom ferry and the harbours are not sheltered very well.
Nice area tho. if you can get there:rolleyes:

DeepBurn

Über Member
Great thread and lots of great info/links that are handy for me.

For my 30th birthday next year me and my brother have decided to do a tour of the West Coast of Scotland and some of the Western Isles too.

We'll probably have 4 or 5 days of riding and will need to do a bit of planning for it due to ferry times etc. And our trip will most likely start at Glasgow station.

Couple of questions though - what is the youth hostel situation like in that part of the World?
Are the ferries expensive?

Matt2matt2002

Youth hostels can book up well in advance. I had a problem in Fort Wiliam last year.
Ferries are cheap and fee for bikes.In fact there is one South of Fort William that is free for passegers and bikes! Corran Ferry I believe.

DeepBurn

Über Member
Youth hostels can book up well in advance. I had a problem in Fort Wiliam last year.
Ferries are cheap and fee for bikes.In fact there is one South of Fort William that is free for passegers and bikes! Corran Ferry I believe.

Thanks for the info - we'll definitely pre book the hostels well in advance then.

Surprised the ferries are so cheap, but then I guess it's different only taking a bike on.

OP
OP
Alberto

Alberto

I am back now. Thanks all for your advice. Will have to sort a few hundreds of pictures, but will be writing and posting a report sometime soon.

Despite that I got rain at some point every day, and that the midges got quite bad a couple of times, it really is a place that must be seen/ cycle toured. I also got sun pretty much every day, and remained in shorts/short finger gloves throughout, so the weather isn't really that bad up there.

The quality of the roads, the quietness, and the amazing scenery cannot get any better than in that part of Scotland.

I am now trying to re-adapt to the London traffic and potholes.

A

Rasmus

Without a clever title
Good to hear you had an enjoyable trip - I look forward to seeing the pictures

Top Bottom