West London Velodrome given planning permission .

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Track bikes can be had much more cheaply than road bikes. No expensive groupsets to worry about and even the most basic machine will be competitive at beginner level. Hillingdon is a well used circuit and even without local support (Which I think it would actually get if a bit of enterprise was shown) a fair few roadies would be tempted over. The reason so few cyclists have been on the track is down to lack of facilities.

it would have most of West London
I am deep in west London MAMIL (and other, I am happy to acknowledge) territory a whole 4.x miles from there. If only I had some convenient form of transport that allowed me to a bit under 5 flat miles with little stress.

I will ponder my options. I'm thinking magic carpet or batmobile.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Does the article not say Stuart Benstead rather than Philip Benstead the well known and vocal CTC campaigner?
Why, so it does. I am wrong and apologise to both gentlemen.

But it does not change my view that the promoter hasn't thought things through.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Why, so it does. I am wrong and apologise to both gentlemen.

But it does not change my view that the promoter hasn't thought things through.
I can only imagine what a Philip Benstead planning application would like like. He had posts that were 10 times longer than the velodrome application!

To the matter in hand, given the location I doubt the timing of the planning application would be any kind of block on whether a velodrome is built. I'd agree with SkipDriver only on the point that the area isn't exactly a world heritage site. As you say, it'll be the availability of money (capital and running costs) that will have the final say.

normgow

Guru
Many years ago (all my contributions start like this) there was a track in Maida Vale Park in west London which was quite elderly but served its purpose well and meetings there were well supported by riders and locals who turned up to watch a free show. In the sixties I would often travel across London from East to West to ride there, a big favorite were the twenty mile scratch races on Friday evenings.
Then came a decision from on high to replace this old track with an "Olympic Size" velodrome, whatever that meant. There is no standard for Olympic tracks. Great idea, was the general opinion, so the old track was quickly demolished but then came objections, local residents didn't want an "Olympic Velodrome" in their neighborhood so all plans were quickly shelved and West London was left with no old track and no new one.
The proposal to now build a new track at Hillingdon must be a step in the right direction and is worthy of all the support it can get.
As for finance - what about the money from the Harlow track? That could be used if anyone can find it. Possibly buried on Treasure Island.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I can only imagine what a Philip Benstead planning application would like like. He had posts that were 10 times longer than the velodrome application!

To the matter in hand, given the location I doubt the timing of the planning application would be any kind of block on whether a velodrome is built. I'd agree with SkipDriver only on the point that the area isn't exactly a world heritage site. As you say, it'll be the availability of money (capital and running costs) that will have the final say.

I think the running costs are pretty much covered as Hillingdon is already well know for its track and club house . It already has its paying customer base . I quite often check the calendar to see if the race track is free to use for training and find it booked for an event . Adding the velodrome could potentially double the amount of bookings as two events could run at the same time . The club house and parking can handle that .

Top Bottom