West Yorks Cycle Route

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
ColinJ said:

+1 :laugh:

longers

Legendary Member
I like the Hebden Bride start idea, as I suppose starting the ride in Lancashire is out of the question ? :laugh:

PaulB

Legendary Member
ColinJ said:
I've also been looking at another long ride (or two) which we can tackle some time. The Lancashire Cycleway consists of two loops, each about 130 miles. I've done quite a lot of the northern loop at various times and there is some lovely countryside up there. The southern loop also includes some familiar roads, but I'm not sure about how close it gets to the towns that it circumnavigates. It might feel a bit 'built-up' in places. I'll have to take a closer look at the maps.

Never done much of the southern section as I have a bit of an aversion to riding in built up areas but the northern section is fabuloso. I'd be well up for that. The normal starting place for both routes is Whalley which, with its cafes and pubs, provides a perfect finish. If this is arranged, you can sign me up for it.

trio25

Über Member
I've done most of the southern section of the lancashire cycleway at some time or another, seeing as it goes really close to my house. It has some lovely bits and some bits through places like Chorley. But usually on good roads, I imagine the northern loop is nicer though!

longers

Legendary Member
*bump*

Is this ride still a goer? I am ;)

Would like to get it pencilled in on the calendar if we're going to do it.

OP
OP
colly

colly

Re member eR
I think a provisional date would be 21st June but I was chatting to Colinj and he thought possibly the weekend before, 14th June, with the proviso that if it was likely to be crap weather moving it on a weekend would be a good option.
TBH riding 160 miles in the pi**ing rain appeals to me (not) so a get out of postponing for a week seems a good idea.
The weekend of the 28th is the White Rose Challenge.

I need to get back to doing some riding then because since my last time out (Spring into the Dales) I haven't even touched my bike.:sad:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
colly said:
I think a provisional date would be 21st June but I was chatting to Colinj and he thought possibly the weekend before, 14th June, with the proviso that if it was likely to be crap weather moving it on a weekend would be a good option.
TBH riding 160 miles in the pi**ing rain appeals to me (not) so a get out of postponing for a week seems a good idea.
The weekend of the 28th is the White Rose Challenge.

I need to get back to doing some riding then because since my last time out (Spring into the Dales) I haven't even touched my bike.;)
No, we originally said the 28th and I was proposing moving it to the 21st with an option to doing it on the 28th if rain stopped play on the 21st, but that was before I was told about the White Rose Challenge on the 28th!

The thing is, I'd like to do the Red Rose Ride from Halifax on the 14th... !

We need to start comparing notes on this to see who wants to do what, when! Who is doing the WRC? I think PaulB said that he was away on the 28th.

I did an extended Brian Robinson Challenge at the weekend, and while I felt better than I did on the equivalent Kirklees Sportive last year, I realised that I've still got a lot of work to do before the WYCR ride since that will be about 50% harder than the BRC with the extra miles I did.

longers

Legendary Member
It seems I'm only free the weekend of 20th/21st with an option for either of those days. Monday is already booked off work for lying around recovering.

ColinJ

longers said:
It seems I'm only free the weekend of 20th/21st with an option for either of those days. Monday is already booked off work for lying around recovering.
Ah, now there's an idea... Instead of having a reserve Sunday in case of rain, arrange it for Sat 20th and if that was wet, have the option of doing it on Sun 21st instead. That would suit me.

Colly, Calum , Bokonon, PaulB, Goodspeed, Trio, Svendo (who have I forgotten?), anybody else who fancies a long, hard, slow ride... what do you think?

Another thing - are we planning to bypass the off-road bits e.g. the West Yorkshire Sculpture Park?

trio25

Über Member
As it happens I might be able to do that weekend, I was orginally on a course but it has moved to the week after. But before that I was doing a race and there is a chance I might end up still doing it if someone drops out of the team, I am now official reserve. So maybe is the short answer.

goodspeed

ColinJ said:
No, we originally said the 28th and I was proposing moving it to the 21st with an option to doing it on the 28th if rain stopped play on the 21st, but that was before I was told about the White Rose Challenge on the 28th!

The thing is, I'd like to do the Red Rose Ride from Halifax on the 14th... !

We need to start comparing notes on this to see who wants to do what, when! Who is doing the WRC? I think PaulB said that he was away on the 28th.

I did an extended Brian Robinson Challenge at the weekend, and while I felt better than I did on the equivalent Kirklees Sportive last year, I realised that I've still got a lot of work to do before the WYCR ride since that will be about 50% harder than the BRC with the extra miles I did.

Wow, June's getting pretty busy; here's my calender so far:-
7th Halifax sailing club MTB challenge
14th Red Rose Ride
28th White Rose Challenge

So that leaves 20th/21st free, not sure how i'll feel inbetween 2 big rides, don't want to be too knackered for the WRC. Just put me down as a maybe for now.

RedBike

I've only just seen this thread

Now this looks intresting and worth travelling for.
It's been a while since i've done a 150 mile ride and I don't think i've ever done one thats so hilly and long.

Pencil me in too please.

ColinJ

Okay, how about an 06:30 start from Mytholmroyd Community Centre on Saturday 20th June, with an option to put it back 24 hours to the Sunday if the weather forecast was bad for the 20th and good for the 21st?

I'm suggesting the early start to take the pressure off us in terms of getting round in daylight. Sunset time in West Yorkshire is 21:40 that weekend so we'd have 15 hours to do about 158 miles (255 km). It shouldn't take that long, but we might want 2 or 3 decent stops and there might be mechanicals to deal with. Heck, some of us might even get tired! :biggrin:

I propose a clockwise circuit, unless the majority would prefer it the other way round?

The WYCR-in-a-day wouldn't be your typical forum ride so it isn't advisable to take on the full circuit unless you are confident of your ability to cope.

I think that we should all start off together, but I wouldn't object to us splitting into a faster group and a slower group at some point, but preferably I won't be left in a slow group of one!

I know I can do it, but I won't be riding quickly. I could easily see it taking me 13 or 14 hours, including stops. As long as I get back in daylight, that would be fine by me.

If you don't feel up to the full ride, you could come with us round to Castleford which is almost exactly halfway in terms of distance and hills, and catch a train back via Leeds.

List of those who have expressed interest:
  • ColinJ
  • Colly
  • Calum
  • Bokonon
  • Goodspeed
  • RedBike
  • Trio25
  • PaulB
  • Svendo (I think?)
  • Longers

Anybody else fancy torturing themselves over the toughest climbs that West Yorkshire can throw at them a nice little bike ride in June? :biggrin:

Top Bottom