West Yorks Cycle Route

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Bokonon said:
Sounds good as long as I don't have to be fully awake at 6:30 :blush:
I know what you mean!

Unfortunately (given that I went to the pub last night and didn't get to sleep until 03:00), I was fully awake at 06:30 today! :smile:

A short, sharp 'chirping' sound woke me up but I couldn't figure out where it was coming from. It has stopped now, but I've noticed that the battery level on my carbon monoxide detector is getting low so that might have been the cause. I don't know why it hasn't carried on though. Usually, those things are really persistent to force you to change the batteries...

I was surprised how nice and sunny it was that early in the morning. Hopefully, it will be even better on June 20th.

trio25

Über Member
Can't make the date but looking forward to reading the reports!

ColinJ

trio25 said:
Can't make the date but looking forward to reading the reports!
Shame you can't make it Trio!

That noise was the CO detector. It happened again and I leapt out of bed and saw that it was flashing an LB warning (L-ow B-attery)! At least, I think it stands for Low Battery. LB happens to also be my ex's initials. I had a quick look around for her but she was nowhere to be seen so I was safe! ;)

Oh, and I've cashed in the last of my premium bonds to raise the money to get my MTB fixed so I'll definitely be up for that Mary Towneley Loop ride some time! I'm looking forward to being back out on the bridleways again on two wheels rather than two feet!

PaulB

Legendary Member
I'll have a pop on an MTB an' all. Snot my favourite riding but it's a nice change sometimes. I'd be especially keen to see some routes around here as I've been disappointed with what I've ridden so far it has to be said.

RedBike

I'm going to have to give this ride a miss. I'm clearly not fit enough.

Best of luck to anyone fit enough (or should that be daft enough?) to ride it!

RedBike

It was only 112. about 5000ft of climbing (relatively flat!) and it's killed my legs.

The West Yorkshire ride has another 56miles and 7000ft of climbing!
Too much for me.

ColinJ

Yesterday's hilly 65-miler was the first ride for two years when I actually felt like a fit (overweight) cyclist rather than a fat bloke on a bike. Having said that, there is a big difference between 65 hilly miles and 157 hilly miles... :biggrin:

Not much time left now for shedding more weight and building more fitness. If I really start to suffer later in the ride I can always use one of the bail-out options myself, or walk up some of the brutal little climbs towards the end.

longers

Legendary Member
Right, so a 6.30 start means I leave home at when? :biggrin:

Still keen though ;)

I'm leaning towards favouring doing it on the sunday if the weather looks like being suitable either day.

ColinJ

If Sunday 21st has a forecast like yesterday's, I'd be happy to do it then too.

Perhaps we should say Sunday 21st unless the forecast for Sunday is bad and Saturday is good, final decision to be made on Friday 19th?

Oh yes, I'd forgotten that I was the navigator. To be honest, I managed to get lost a couple of times when I did the southern half of the route in 2006 without my GPS. Lots of WYCR signs had been removed or turned round.

My GPS has been 100% reliable as long as I use large batteries (slightly smaller ones bounce about in the battery compartment and the GPS can cut out). The only other problem I've had when using it is when I've forgotten to look at it - yesterday, for example. I was chatting to Calum and didn't notice that we'd ridden past a turn until we were a km or so down the road. That's the worst navigational error that I've made in about 4,000 km of using the GPS. Having said that, any technology can fail so I'll be carrying a copy of the WYCR map just in case. I must nip down to the local Tourist Information Centre to pick up another one because I've mislaid the original.

The good thing about doing the route the way we plan to, is that I know the local roads really well so I know how to pace myself for the last 30 miles or so.

The bad thing about doing the route the way we plan to, is that I know the local roads really well so I know how much the last 30 miles or so are going to hurt me! :?:

PS Does anyone have any thoughts on the off-road bits of the loop? Some of them are cycle-paths which should be okay if they are dry. The section through the West Yorkshire Sculpture Park is a bridleway. I felt that it was a bit too rough, steep and gravel-strewn for a standard road bike when I did it.

I could work out a road diversion round the park.

OP
OP
colly

colly

Re member eR
Sunday would be a better option if the weather looks ok. Castleford and Pontefract on a Saturday would be bad traffic wise. It is bad enough around there on a Sunday anyway.
I have done the Western side of the route and there are a lot of signs missing and,or turned the wrong way but I know the way so it shouldn't be a problem.

If the Sculpture Park part is as bad as you say Colin, I reckon a detour on roads would be best. The cycle paths from Bramham down to Castleford are ok for road bikes.

I have noticed that at around 90 miles on a 100 mile ride (and at about 60 miles on a 70 mile ride) things really seem to get like hard work. Now I am not sure if all that is just physical or if it is partly in the mind.
As in the sub-conscious saying: ''I am almost home now I can begin to switch off''

I just hope that I don't start switching off by the time we get to Pontefract. We will have done about 80 miles or so and will have already passed within a few mins. of my house 20 miles before. Another 80 at that stage might seem impossible. :ohmy: I might well need some motivational gee'ing along.:tongue:

I've never attempted anything like 160 miles before let alone 160 with so many hills. I think breaking it down into manageable sections in the mind is one way to cope. Starting out and contemplating all of it would make it seem even more daunting that it is.

Looking at it as four 40 milers might help. ............Well that's how I am going to tackle it. :smile:

Top Bottom