Western Isles or Outer Hebrides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iandg

Legendary Member
Prevailing wind south westerley so more likely to be a tail wind if you do south to north.

I went clockwise - Uig - Lochmaddy - Stornaway - Ullapool - Kyle - Uig - Late may Early June - no idea if it was the right way - winds were negligible - little beasties practically non existent - only drawback was Stornaway on a Sunday - Closed

iandg

Legendary Member
I went clockwise - Uig - Lochmaddy - Stornaway - Ullapool - Kyle - Uig - Late may Early June - no idea if it was the right way - winds were negligible - little beasties practically non existent - only drawback was Stornaway on a Sunday - Closed

Not just Stornoway - the whole of Lewis and Harris.It is getting a bit better now.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
@Fab Foodie
@robjh

^^^^ they did a bit of touring there last year.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
It's a great place to ride and visit. My advice would be, for some odd reason mostly relating to Barra which is a great place:

1. If arriving on Barra at night be sure to eat on the boat. It's possible everything will be closed in Castlebay.

2. If you are using B&B be sure to book the night you arrive in Barra in advance as availability can be limited.

3. Use the western route round Barra, it's more interesting and avoids a steep climb

4. Visit in the little sandwich shop on Castlebay harbour for salmon sandwiches and/or tablet. It's to die for.

5. Don't over plan. Have an idea of where you want to go but don't bother with route planning. The place is small enough to idly wander through - just keep heading northish

6. If using bunk houses when I was there the Benbecula one was overrun with students staying longterm and partying all night. There were events which made me feel threatened, which is very unusual. This aside bunk houses are excellent accommodation but be sure to arrive early to get a bed.

Before I arrived I had no idea there was anywhere of such stunning and varied natural beauty in the British Isles. Breathtaking doesn't come close.

Ajax Bay

Guru
UK's prevailing wind is not simply SW quadrant round the year.
Seasonal variation of the prevailing wind direction in Britain
onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/wea.301/pdf
"For the months of April and May the frequency of northeasterlies is about equal to that of southwesterlies. In fact, during some decades, the prevailing wind at many sites during these months is northeasterly."
So in April or May you're just as likely to have favourable wind going NE-SW to Barra. And (according to @dellzeqq ) midge free whatever the wind strength.

Top Bottom