Western Isles or Outer Hebrides

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
That's our whole problem, total inflexibility with my holidays that have to be booked a year in advance. We did shop in the big co op on Benbecula, but it was on Lewis there was very little, and never a café when you desperately needed one! We have to go back to just wander slowly. We were supposed to stay in the Beneray Gatliff but a ferry was in dock (to Harris) and we could see nothing in the clag and so took the boat to avoid a 6am wake up in the morning. Was a bit sad because I am sure the Gatliff Hostels give a great flavour of the character of the islands. Highly recommend the hostel at Gearrannan Blackhouse Village north of Callanish, they do take walk ins if space but I'd advise ringing ahead. It was in fact just as well we didn't have much time, we journeyed rather than explored and next time we will explore.

:biggrin: Sunday was quiet when I moved here in 1998, it is (a bit) better now.

George Berwick once told me that he stopped in Stockinish Youth Hostel many years ago and a local farmer backed a trailer up to the door so they couldn't get out the hostel to cycle on a Sunday.
I remember being that way in the late 90s and the campsite cautioned against hanging washing out on the sabbsth.

OP
OP
flyingfifi

flyingfifi

Über Member
I,ve got a new book at the weekend called cycling in the Hebrides by Richard barrett second edition its very good but am going to do a lot of camping around under the stars:rain:lol

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
I,ve got a new book at the weekend called cycling in the Hebrides by Richard barrett second edition its very good but am going to do a lot of camping around under the stars:rain:lol

Based our whole tour on this book, very good, very accurate, we even carried it with us having pre loaded all routes to Garmin via Ride w GPS. Changed a bit on last day and ended up realising book was right as usual, should have stuck to Richard's advice!

OP
OP
flyingfifi

flyingfifi

Über Member
Am going to give this a try its been about 23 odd years I never been over there seen It in from isle of skye when I was young on a long very hot sunny day :sun:

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Got back from my trip to the Outer Hebrides almost a week ago, only found time now to give a bit of a write up.
I took the train to Inverness, then biked over to Ullapool for the ferry. A strong head wind and some rain made for a hard ride.
Once in Stornoway, made our way to the Butt of Lewis, with a strong head wind all the way and a fair bit of rain. There was quite a lot of traffic on the road, more than I remembered from 10 years ago, with quite a few heavy trucks. Perhaps it's a good sign that there's building work, etc going on.
CIMG7118.JPG

The war memorials are really well done, the islanders are obviously very proud of their fallen, it is sobering how many from tiny hamlets fell.

CIMG7121.JPG

Headed towards Calanish, stopping at a lovely Norse kiln and mill, I love these sort of things, they really bring areas to life.
From the Calanish stones headed out towards Tarbert, where we stayed two nights, visiting Scalpay and Huisinis. I had hoped to circumnavigate Harris but didn't have enough time. Huisinis beach could have been the Caribbean, what the photo doesn't show is the very strong wind.
CIMG7212.JPG

CIMG7135.JPG

Headed back for the flesh pots of Stornoway and then to Inverness. Met several people cycling the North Coast 500, one couple taking 14 days over it, another had done it in 6 days.
The trip was great, the islands are fantastically interesting, I love the older history, my mate is into boats and industrial history and there was lots to keep us both interested. The scenery is stunning too. The standard of accommodation was superb and the hosts were supremely friendly and helpful (one took us to the local pub and back for a meal). There are many roads which I wish I could have explored eg, the road to Aird Uig is one I must do some time. I'm already thinking when I can next go!
In summary, if you've never been, go!

For the record, I stayed at
The Aultguish Inn between Inverness and Ullapool.
The Butt of Lewis.
Laxay.
Tarbert (two nights).
Stornoway.
Inverness.

Agree with you about the beaches often looking as if they are from the windies. Did you braventhe water though?

Thanks for the wonderful pics - have done by company car but really want to get back by bike.

Top Bottom