Wet/cold weather wear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Cape if it fits on the bike and you're not going far or fast. Packable waterproof and rainlegs if not or it's too windy for the cape. Thermals and merino if it's cold. Fleecy jacket with slick outer (Michelin man style) and overshoes in deep deep winter.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
Lycra top, some theatre scrub trousers I borrowed from work and chopped the legs off, and crocs. Plus a change of everything when I get to work/get home.

I used to try avoiding getting wet then I realised I was wasting my sodding time.

Cape if it fits on the bike and you're not going far or fast.
Not if it's windy, which reminded me of this
yehuda-moon-rain-cape.jpg

Or, you could follow the 'Kelly criteria' for bad weather..................

Sean_Kelly1.jpg

Layers in the cold and anything that keeps you warm when wet Don't get too hung up trying to keep dry, concentrate on keeping warm when the inevitable happens and you do get wet. Overshoes and half decent gloves being a must. I love my northwave arctic gtx boots as well.

Last edited:

mjr

What's been said above - decent gloves, decent overshoes. Once your hands / feet get cold or wet you'll struggle to get them warm again on a ride.
Layer the gloves too in deep deep winter. I wear my thicker mitts inside Sealskinz mittens.

And I disagree it's not worth trying to keep dry. I mostly manage it, although not always and not for more than an hour or two: ultimately, all waterproof clothes have a hole near the top where your face sticks out and it can't get too tight just below that!

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
Personally in the wet I take advantage of having a waterproof skin - in torrential rain I will wear a lycra top, swimming shorts or thin cotton shorts, and crocs. You may look like an idiot but because you don't really have much to soak water you avoid looking like a drowned rat.

In winter I just wear trousers and add gloves and either a softshell jacket or softsheel fleece on top. That's enough to keep the wind off and you tend to stay warm enough just from cycling otherwise.

That said I have been caught out by rain before and you get home soaked through but... so what? Clothes in the washing machine, quick shower, shoes somewhere to dry out and you'll be fine. It does tend to ruin shoes though.

mjr

That said I have been caught out by rain before and you get home soaked through but... so what? Clothes in the washing machine, quick shower, shoes somewhere to dry out and you'll be fine.
Not everyone ends all rides at home. It would be rather limiting IMO.

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
Not everyone ends all rides at home. It would be rather limiting IMO.
No need to tell me, I had an interview last week. Forecast dry, set off very light rain, arrived soaked.

Luckily the interviewers looked over my damp trousers.

Top Bottom