Wet Lube....isn't it just a dirt magnet?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
This is fascinating. I normally favour TF2’s wet lube which reminds me a bit of chainsaw oil seeing the ‘strings’ as you apply and also on the jockey wheels.

This summer I tried TF2’s dry lube which just seems to be a thin oil rather than a solvent with suspended wax. I’m not certain of all of the above. The TF2 dry lube, like the wet lube, seems to go black.

I tried Finish Line’s dry lube which is definitely a solvent with (wax?) suspended in the liquid. Easy to apply and dries quickly. I haven't noticed any blackness or gunk from wax (shavings) building up. Only used daily for 2 weeks so it is early days. No heavy rain or freezing conditions either. I’m going to try it on my Audax bike and see.

Quoting my own post for clarity. Apparently the Finish Line Dry has Teflon suspended in it, not wax. I got a tiny sample bottle (ideal for touring) from my LBS so I have cleaned my chain up on my Audax bike and applied a drop onto/into every link. I’ll let you know.

Smudge

Veteran
I dont use any special chain lubes, I just use gear oil. Then every so often just clean the chain with paraffin or white spirit or WD40 or whatever i happen to have knocking about in my shed.
Do the same for my motorcycle chains.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I often wonder why we worry about a chain or how it's lubed.
If you oil it it lasts longer.
I'm a new chain every year regardless, its like changing engine oil and filter on the car

Levo-Lon

Guru
With a new chain, do you remove the ‘factory supplied’ coating then re-lube with your own l’huile-de-la-maison?

I just wipe them with gt85 on the rag when first fitted avoid chain suck
Oil with wet lube and dry,but i use 10-40 oil more often then remove excess.
The mtb' s need a lot more tlc, road commuter bikes are a quick clean and oil.

Top Bottom