Wet weather gear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Basil.B

Guru
No chance. You would sweat buckets cycling in that! :ohmy:

snorri

Legendary Member
Too many zip fasteners, high fault liability and difficult to get into in windy weather. I prefer two piece waterproofs which allow more ventilation without compromising waterproof capability. The model did not demonstrate the hood.:sad:

PaulB

Legendary Member
Gore-tex doesn't work so don't waste your money. It always mystified me how they have got away with this scam for so long.

Firstly, I worked for WL Gore for more than four years and learned some amazing things about them at that time. Our HQ was in Livingston, Scotland (still is, obv.) and they had gone there to test the 'waterproof' capabilities of the material, Scotland being famous for rain...and midges. Yes, it'll keep you dry but so will rubber, or plastic, or many other things. Gore claim that the porosity of the material ENSURES that the water vapour you sweat out will flow out into the air...but it can't. Why? The air is wet and moisture needs something drier than itself to osmose into. It stands to reason it cannot do that but they still make the claim that it does. (Removed for legal implications).

Me and a mate once ran a financial check on a garment Berghaus were selling at £200 and received the information from fellow associates in fabrics that the cost of the material to Gore that went into the garment would cost.....20 pence. All R&D costs had long been paid off but they have a pricing structure that maintains its very high price on the shop floor. Give it a wide berth.

Top Bottom