Wetherspoons

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
:smile:
"turn" is a an odd phrase isn't it in that context? No idea what the derivation is.
"funny turn" ?
You got me trying to find out.

All the etymology entries I can find suggest that the word "turn" to mean a short act, skit or routine comes originally from the circus, but doesn't give any more information than that.

I suspect as it was originally only short acts, it may have come from the same source as "taking turns".

raleighnut

Legendary Member
despite the twin attractions, I still reckon the beer was probably/almost certainly a bit dodgy at best.
With some of the larger clubs it arrived by tanker rather than in barrels. :ohmy:

Guiness was always a safe bet as that didn't

With some of the larger clubs it arrived by tanker rather than in barrels. :ohmy:

Guiness was always a safe bet as that didn't
Guiness was always my fall back in any pub I walked in which didn't have an interesting beer.
Only once have I ever had to do that in a spoons - the "hotel" one in Chester - after that I cycled over to the other chester one for something rather wonderful. Then a nice chilled train ride to Manchester.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I once drank in an establishment in Bordon, Hants, where one of the strippers had an interesting gimmick. She would insert a Chupa Chups lolly in her fundament, then pop it back out before inviting the punters to have a suck.

You don't get that in a Wetherspoons.
I'll have to ask my brother if he knows that place from his REME days...

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I'll have to ask my brother if he knows that place from his REME days...
He'll definitely know it, it was a REME regular haunt, he'll either know it as the 501 club or by its unofficial forces nickname of "Club Sad". Which is actually very apt.

stephec

Legendary Member
I once drank in an establishment in Bordon, Hants, where one of the strippers had an interesting gimmick. She would insert a Chupa Chups lolly in her fundament, then pop it back out before inviting the punters to have a suck.

You don't get that in a Wetherspoons.
I did once see a slight variation on that, although I couldn't really say exactly what on here.

Worcester has two Wetherspoons, The Postal Order, https://search.savills.com/property-detail/gb0456s70487 which is up for sale and a second, The Crown which is also an hotel.

There doesn't seem to be the demand for both, possibly as they are around about 200 yards apart and both of decent size.

The Postal Order is more cask ale focused, whereas the The Crown is more food, families and lager/coffee focused. Hopefully the cask ale will receive more attention and move faster in The Crown if the Postal Order is sold/closed.

But for some reason the Postal Order isn't selling, I thought that someone like Yates would be interested as it could be reopened with very little modification, or another chain could bung up some cheap walls and have 3/4 bars, quiet, sports, family, noisy drinking.

It is a town centre location, right by the railway station and it has an okay reputation, so maybe even the big chains can't make drinks and discount food profitable anymore. Worcester is a quite poor city with a number of new build estates for commuters, but these estates are too far from the town centre for a casual walk, especially with children.

I was tempted to write an email to Tim asking him to let me take it on for free ..... and then send it after a few too many beers.:smile: Me big worry is that he might say yes just to get rid of it!

Last edited:

Chromatic

Legendary Member
Worcester has two Wetherspoons, The Postal Order, https://search.savills.com/property-detail/gb0456s70487 which is up for sale and a second, The Crown which is also an hotel.

There doesn't seem to be the demand for both, possibly as they are around about 200 yards apart and both of decent size.

The Postal Order is more cask ale focused, whereas the The Crown is more food, families and lager/coffee focused. Hopefully the cask ale will receive more attention and move faster in The Crown if the Postal Order is sold/closed.

But for some reason the Postal Order isn't selling, I thought that someone like Yates would be interested as it could be reopened with very little modification, or another chain could bung up some cheap walls and have 3/4 bars, quiet, sports, family, noisy drinking.

It is a town centre location, right by the railway station and it has an okay reputation, so maybe even the big chains can't make drinks and discount food profitable anymore. Worcester is a quite poor city with a number of new build estates for commuters, but these estates are too far from the town centre for a casual walk, especially with children.

I was tempted to write an email to Tim asking him to let me take it on for free ..... and then send it after a few too many beers.:smile: Me big worry is that he might say yes just to get rid of it!

I think someone has hacked Ian's account!
@IanSmithCSE, what has happened to the usual 'good morning' and 'bye'?

Top Bottom