Wetherspoons

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
In the past, Working Mens Clubs (and similar) often "did it cheaper", but, pubs survived, alongside the Clubs.

Not everyone likes Clubs (I don't, generally).

It is freedom of choice.
Never went in one (my dad did pre marriage I think) - I had the idea that the main attraction was the "social" aspect and cheap/very cheap beer. Weren't they very spartan though? And massively male? I also had the idea that the beer would be pretty poor and that the clubs were tied to a single brewery.
?

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Never went in one (my dad did pre marriage I think) - I had the idea that the main attraction was the "social" aspect and cheap/very cheap beer. Weren't they very spartan though? And massively male? I also had the idea that the beer would be pretty poor and that the clubs were tied to a single brewery.
?

A lot of what you say may have been true initially (ie pre-ww2), but, certainly, in this area, by 1960's, clubs were often quite palatial, particularly in "the concert room". Usually a spartan bar, for the men. Many were "men-only", in the bar, but, all of that has changed now of course. Many of the clubs sold only Federation Brewery products, but, again, all of that has changed and they often sell a range of products.

But, like "traditional pubs" the Clubs have taken a big hit, not nearly as popular as they used to be.

Rising expectations, IMHO, a once a week trip to the club for a babycham is not regarded as living the "high life" for women, today, such as my four daughters. Rightly so, IMHO, they are successful working women, why should they take only the crumbs? ;)

A lot of what you say may have been true initially (ie pre-ww2), but, certainly, in this area, by 1960's, clubs were often quite palatial, particularly in "the concert room". Usually a spartan bar, for the men. Many were "men-only", in the bar, but, all of that has changed now of course. Many of the clubs sold only Federation Brewery products, but, again, all of that has changed and they often sell a range of products.

But, like "traditional pubs" the Clubs have taken a big hit, not nearly as popular as they used to be.

Rising expectations, IMHO, a once a week trip to the club for a babycham is not regarded as living the "high life" for women, today, such as my four daughters. Rightly so, IMHO, they are successful working women, why should they take only the crumbs? ;)
I'm not remotely pre WW2 boldon :smile:
Also am pretty sure that the "social" in my lancashire small town is not palatial inside.
And never was - not even in the swinging 60s.
Maybe I'll pop in when next there and see what the beer range is like - how often it changes.
Agree with you about rising expectations.

DRM

Guru
The one thing with the WMC’s were the universally dreadful turns, and constant shushing due to bingo, the latter being so bad that on the odd occasions we went with the in-laws, come bingo time father in law and myself would visit the toilet, code word for a pint at the pub across the road until the bingo finished, I also think Phoenix Nights was a documentary not a comedy

The one thing with the WMC’s were the universally dreadful turns, and constant shushing due to bingo, the latter being so bad that on the odd occasions we went with the in-laws, come bingo time father in law and myself would visit the toilet, code word for a pint at the pub across the road until the bingo finished, I also think Phoenix Nights was a documentary not a comedy
:smile:
"turn" is a an odd phrase isn't it in that context? No idea what the derivation is.
"funny turn" ?

stephec

Legendary Member
Do you mind, you're spoiling my happy memories there. 😂

Turns during the week and strippers on Sunday lunchtime.

High class entertainment.
despite the twin attractions, I still reckon the beer was probably/almost certainly a bit dodgy at best.

A lot of the north east clubs were supplied by the Federation Brewery at Dunston, Gateshead.

Let's just say even if correctly served, their ale didn't win many awards.
I do have a dim memory from my impressionable youth of reading fake shock horror stories from the News of the World etc (the sort where reporters "made their excuses and left") of strippers inviting punters to lick beer from various bits of them - perhaps that was the best use for it.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I do have a dim memory from my impressionable youth of reading fake shock horror stories from the News of the World etc (the sort where reporters "made their excuses and left") of strippers inviting punters to lick beer from various bits of them - perhaps that was the best use for it.

Years ago I was tasked with writing a feature about strippers in workingmen's clubs which, as you might imagine, needed to be thoroughly researched.

It's one of two occasions when I've interviewed someone fully naked.

The other was a boxer after a championship fight.

The point, such as it is, is people in those occupations think nothing of being naked behind the scenes.

DRM

Guru
A lot of the north east clubs were supplied by the Federation Brewery at Dunston, Gateshead.

Let's just say even if correctly served, their ale didn't win many awards.
I was told by a bloke at one of the sites I go to that his rock band were the turn at Dunston WMC, one of the club members was in for a pint with his son, the son, who after a few asked to sing a couple of numbers with them if they knew the music, was allowed up to perform, it was one Brian Johnson of AC/DC

Top Bottom