Wetherspoons

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
WTF? I haven't been "drunk" for a lot of years now, but I do enjoy a visit to the pub. If I DID want to get drunk cheaply, there are much cheaper alternatives to the pub, even at Tim Martin's prices.
If you can't go to the pub without getting drunk, there are organisations out there who can help you.
yep - a long time since I was drunk in any public setting as well (the real pissheads are usually at home pretending to watch the sport or the ballet) - I DO though remember a woman in my local spoons once being refused service as she was told she was slurring her words.

Hang about long enough and you might meet him. Apparently he aims to visit around 20 of his pubs each week! But with 900+ pubs in the UK now, it's going to take him the best part of a year to get round them all. Now that's a pub crawl :cheers:.
this academic* study is aiming to catch up with him.
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/~ccaajpa/pubs-spoons.html

* well it appears to be hosted by university college london - my old seat of learning.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
WTF? I haven't been "drunk" for a lot of years now, but I do enjoy a visit to the pub. If I DID want to get drunk cheaply, there are much cheaper alternatives to the pub, even at Tim Martin's prices.
If you can't go to the pub without getting drunk, there are organisations out there who can help you.

Yes. I have been in several Wetherspoons, and, given the low price of the drinks, I did anticipate possible drunkenness, but, so far, I have been pleasantly surprised at the general good order.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I'm never drunk when I'm in a Wetherspoons. By the time we've got to the other end of the valley, eight or nine pubs later I'm absolutely off my face.

postman

Legendary Member
Yes. I have been in several Wetherspoons, and, given the low price of the drinks, I did anticipate possible drunkenness, but, so far, I have been pleasantly surprised at the general good order.
wait till tomorrow,Postmans mates Xmas party.Stick or Twist 11-00 till falling down.

wait till tomorrow,Postmans mates Xmas party.Stick or Twist 11-00 till falling down.
Small world. Was outside that pub one evening quite recently with my bike. Had ridden to Leeds and was waiting for a train back. Behave yourself in there, I seem to remember it has doormen. And lots of students upstairs.
Can't remember what the beer was but it was good.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I don't think so, but, I could be wrong ;)
The one at the beginning of Get Carter was next to the railway station. I think it used to be The Victoria and Comet but it's been knocked about since the film was made. I think I had a couple of pints there decades ago. In a thin glass, naturally.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
The one at the beginning of Get Carter was next to the railway station. I think it used to be The Victoria and Comet but it's been knocked about since the film was made. I think I had a couple of pints there decades ago. In a thin glass, naturally.

Yes, The Victoria and Comet, that is my recollection too. The Yates was in Grainger Street, near the Cathedral. Another "frozen in time" bar was The Crown Posada in The Side, just off Grey Street. Last time we attempted to visit, it was closed, not sure if it is permanent.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
We had our lads xmas lunch last Friday. i think we hit the pre restaurant pub just before 12.30. I was home tucked up in bed at 8.30pm and work up fresh as a daisy on Saturday morning. Perfect i do like afternoon drinking, but the secret is not to get carried away and think you can drink 'til closing time.
No Wetherspoons were visited.....

Top Bottom