'Whacky' bikes for Suffolk ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So in order to encourage participation you are referring to the superior recumbent style bikes and trikes as "whacky"?

Hmmmmm, nope, I don't feel inclined to be part of that.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
I'm guessing the OP means 'wacky' as in 'bizarre' rather than 'comical' or 'foolish'. We are bizarre, to be fair.

Mind you, why assume a recumbent is any more foul smelling than an upright? ;)

Norm

Catrike UK said:
So in order to encourage participation you are referring to the superior recumbent style bikes and trikes as "whacky"?

Hmmmmm, nope, I don't feel inclined to be part of that.
Funny, I thought the OP was firstly looking for "interesting" and "funky" bikes (which would encompass recumbents, IMO) and, secondly, it didn't actually mention recumbents anyway, so you are categorising yourself as such.

Maybe it's a call to get peeps out on their penny farthings (yes, I'd call them whacky), an attempt to get a couple of dozen Bromptons (yes, I'd call them funky) riding together as well as gathering a group of 2- and 3- wheeled 'bents (yes,I'd call them interesting). ;)

Having glanced at my reflection in a few shop windows, any upright with me on board looks as whacky as a gorilla humping a football anyway. :laugh:

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Lol! Mental image burned into my cortex...

Anyway, if its a call to get peeps out on their penny farthings, why post it in the 'recumbent & HPV' section? Darn. That would be whacky. A recumbent penny. I can't imagine why Charlotte hasn't bought one yet. ;)

And for the record, I'm with 4F on this. :laugh:

Arch

Married to Night Train
It's one of those things. When I worked in cycling promotion, doing tryout roadshows, we'd get asked for 'whacky' bikes for photo ops etc. But bear in mind that 'whacky' often means 'not a BSO or a racing bike', so what they really mean is 'unusual' (which is a fact), rather than 'daft'. Although we could supply any number of daft bikes too. Remember when micro-bikes were all the rage? We had a micro tandem...

Two academics at a university once approached my colleague and asked what the transport rationale behind the micro-bike was. When he said "fun!", they looked quite bemused at the idea that a thing could be made purely for fun...

Norm

Catrike UK said:
Can you see the section title at the top of the page?

No? Oh never mind....:angry:
No, that's a good point and I hadn't spotted which section it was in because I use the "show new threads" option rather than going through the sections, so I apologise for that.

Although my other points still apply. :tongue:

If the OP has just asked if some of us superior recumbenteers would like to come along and show the upwrong riders what real cycles look like then he would have had a multitude of takers.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Now, now. I try to rise above such things. (Not easy, three inches off the floor!:smile:)

I bet it's a nice ride though - I think I'll still be holiday lagged then though, and in need of a weekend just sitting at home (or doing my laundry!)

Let us me magnanamous (sp?) and consider it a nice invitation.

Even if we are freaks...:smile:

OP
OP
OliverAmoros

OliverAmoros

May I ensure all those in doubt that no offense was intended in my initial post but glad to have inspired such lively chat.

YES! Penny farthings, Unicycles, Trikes, Recumbents, No-wheeled bikes... (ok that last one is 'pushing' it.) Y'know the interesting man powered vehicles is what i'm looking for.

"upwrongs" - like it...

OliverAmoros said:
May I ensure all those in doubt that no offense was intended in my initial post but glad to have inspired such lively chat.

YES! Penny farthings, Unicycles, Trikes, Recumbents, No-wheeled bikes... (ok that last one is 'pushing' it.) Y'know the interesting man powered vehicles is what i'm looking for.

"upwrongs" - like it...

No offence taken, just joking around, except about upwrongs of course.:smile:

Top Bottom