Whaley Bridge - Toddbrook Reservoir Damage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
I don't think a lady was actually threatened with arrest.

As a public body Article 2 ECHR is something the police have to account for, and that trumps domestic laws. They can't actually arrest someone for going back to their house unless the feds go to court and are granted an order. The nearest I can think of is an arrest for obstruction, but that's so thin you can see through it.

The police can use force to protect someones right under Article 2. However, as it stands at the moment it's a bit shaky as the dam hasn't been breached, and with each inch the waters drop that becomes less likely, so the justification for using common law powers of force to protect a life isn't there as the danger is no longer immediate .

If the dam did hypothetically breach and the waters were rushing down they could forcibly remove residents, but in reality feds are all taught their highest duty of care is to themselves so they're unlikely to risk their own lives to try and save someone who was well informed of the dangers and stayed anyway.

tom73

Guru
She's not the only one who's been coming out with this. As it stands they can't force you out only make it known it's a good idea you leave.
What I find quite selfish is the ones who left went back in knowing it was just to get what you needed within 15 mins. Then turn round and said we are not leaving.

It was made quite clear by the senior police that it was putting officers at greater risk as they all need to be checked on regular. It also made it harder for anyone wanting to get stuff as they are now reluctant to let them. It was becoming clear that locals also had issues with ones who'd done this.

The shaming looks to be working. last night the count was 31 residents in 22 households this morning it's come down to 22 people in 16 households.
Put yourself at risk if you want but not others services who have enough to do at the moment. Currently around 1000 people are working on this yet a handful believe they come 1st. People have a choice not to go in emergency services and other agencies don't.

But it's great to hear that many more are pulling together and sitting tight and giving support to when they can and how they can.

Drago

Legendary Member
I know DCC Swann, and don't have a terribly high opinion of her.

It may surprise her to know that there is such a thing now as a mobile phone. All her officers need do is ask the residents for their numbers, and they can be checked on without putting any people at risk.

"Hello, it's the Feds here. All good down your end? Excellent, speak soon."

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My colleague at work has been staying at his parents in N Manchester as it's impossible for him to get to work from New Mills (doesn't drive) as many roads are still closed, and all trains cancelled.

tom73

Guru

It may surprise her to know that there is such a thing now as a mobile phone. All her officers need do is ask the residents for their numbers, and they can be checked on without putting any people at risk.

Got to give her credit for her mad hair though. Must take some doing to get to stay like that :rolleyes:

what we don't know is are they on the daily DN or CPN visits list for example which case a call want be good enough. But it's a fair point maybe a call is not goof enough to cover duty of care.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The immediate danger of the earth dam being washed away passed as the water stopped cascading over the spillway. The damaged area has been consolidated and pressure on the dam is reducing by the hour so the secondary danger of a sudden catastrophic failure is also diminishing fast. The rate of emptying will appear to accelerate now as more and more of the valley sides are revealed.

Drago

Legendary Member
Looks like the weather has been kind and the engineers and trumpton have done a fantastic job. With a bit of luck the dam engineers will be able to assess the damage and effect a proper repair. Top work.

D

Deleted member 26715

Assuming that they have electricity to charge said phone?

Drago

Legendary Member
Why would they not? Nothing has been switched off.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Turned the power off? Now that would be a provocation too far, the householders who have gone back to tend their pets and, er, "crops" would be rioting at the potential loss of revenue.

lane

Veteran
Thanks for the explanations @Drago. One person said they had considered going over the fields at night to get their passport as they were due to go on holiday. They must be under the impression that they were not allowed to go to their house whatever the actual legal situation. Perhaps the police are giving the impression they are not allowed to but in reality if they tried to the police could do nothing to stop them. I guess in this situation the majority of people are going to do what they are told without investigating their legal options too closely. .

D

Deleted member 26715

I wonder if you walked up to the barricade & was stopped by an officer who told you that you couldn't go home, could you then threaten them that you'd call the Police if they didn't let you through?

KneesUp

Guru
If they are going on holiday in the EU they technically do not need a passport at the moment. I wouldn't fancy holding up the Eurotunnel queue while I argued my case though.

Top Bottom