Whaley Bridge - Toddbrook Reservoir Damage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GuyBoden

Guru
Now, that's a pilot....

View attachment 478128

I was hoping that a Lancaster would bounce a few bags over the dam and into the hole. ^_^
8-airfix-the-dambusters-avro-lancaster-b.iii-special-operation-chastise-gift-set-1-72-[5]-3823-p.jpg

Looks like big plants in the slipway

Screenshot_20190802-192026.png

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
In 1959, the dam of Frejus, in southern France, broke due to heavy rain fall. Two villages were destroyed and 473 people lost their lives. I remember hearing it on the radio, we didn't have a tv then.
I heard today that the residents of Whaley Bridge were not allowed to take their pets. I don't know if it's true but no one would stop me from taking my dog and cat with me.

Globalti

Legendary Member
We were heading for railway armageddon towards the end of the British Railways days as the ageing network creaked and groaned under the strain, there were crashes and serious inefficiency and the situation with water supply and sewage disposal isn't much different.

OP
OP
fossyant

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
We were heading for railway armageddon towards the end of the British Railways days as the ageing network creaked and groaned under the strain, there were crashes and serious inefficiency and the situation with water supply and sewage disposal isn't much different.

The company I worked for did a major overhaul of the main feed from the Lakes to Manchester. It was surprisingly well made Victorian brickwork...

Lots of pipework is 'flow layed' these days with PVC liners

stephec

Legendary Member
Apparently he's been sent to plug the leak
The hole doesn't look that big.

Seems rather hypocritical from Government England that they would want to save a village from flooding. They used to take great delight in flooding Welsh villages.

images.jpeg

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Seems rather hypothetical from Government England that they would want to save a village from flooding. They used to take great delight in flooding Welsh villages.

View attachment 478284
Now, now - they have flooded plenty of English villages too! :okay:

I was up at Haweswater reservoir in the Lake District one hot summer and the water levels were very low. The ruined buildings of the village of Mardale Green were starting to be uncovered.

classic33

Leg End Member
Now, now - they have flooded plenty of English villages too! :okay:

I was up at Haweswater reservoir in the Lake District one hot summer and the water levels were very low. The ruined buildings of the village of Mardale Green were starting to be uncovered.

Closer to home, the village of Deanhead in Scammonden, and a road/bridge at Baitings, can be seen when the water levels are low.

https://www.halifaxcourier.co.uk/lifestyle/nostalgia/memories-of-old-village-school-1-6077053

Dave7

Legendary Member
In 1959, the dam of Frejus, in southern France, broke due to heavy rain fall. Two villages were destroyed and 473 people lost their lives. I remember hearing it on the radio, we didn't have a tv then.
I heard today that the residents of Whaley Bridge were not allowed to take their pets. I don't know if it's true but no one would stop me from taking my dog and cat with me.
Been to Frejus several times on holiday (La Baume) and dont recall a dam, whereabouts is it?
Last time we went we said "never again". The traffic was horrendous.

Top Bottom