Whaley Bridge - Toddbrook Reservoir Damage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Yep, yellow warning over north of England

Apparently they've been dropping bags of barm cakes on the dam.

KneesUp

Guru
Exactly what I wrote a few pages earlier. Take a close look at any old concrete dam infrastructure and you'll see that it's in need of maintenance with cracks and weeds everywhere. That spillway was doing exactly the job for which it was built but once water gets under those slabs it's only a matter of time before hydraulic pressure wins.

Dressed stone dams though are usually in better condition.

It's exactly what happened to the Oriole Dam in the USA In 2017.
All those ferns just above where it failed ...

5370F983-1CA8-499B-B587-B2C037A2EC4E.jpeg

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Been to Frejus several times on holiday (La Baume) and dont recall a dam, whereabouts is it?
Last time we went we said "never again". The traffic was horrendous.
The dam was never rebuilt. It was in Malpasset, just outside the town. The ruins of it are still there though.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Given each dam is supposed to have an engineer who 'inspects daily' as well as compiling an annual report.......

I'd bet someone, somewhere near-by isn't sleeping too well.
Quote I just read.
"Every dam must have a supervising civil engineer and an inspecting civil engineer to file annual safety reports to Defra, Mr Coackley said.

"That's part of an Act of Parliament that goes back 100 years."

The Canal and River Trust said the annual inspection of Toddbrook Reservoir in November was "absolutely fine".

This coincided with an independent inspection taking place every 10 years, and this was fine, too."

Really not being awkward but where have you read about daily reports?
From what I read everyone 'seems' to have gone by the rules.
As I say, not a dig (I really dislike it when CCrs have unecessary digs).

Drago

Legendary Member
Well, they've given lip service to going by the rules. Just because an annual inspection has been conducted does no automatically mean that is was thorough, or fit for purpose.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Well, they've given lip service to going by the rules. Just because an annual inspection has been conducted does no automatically mean that is was thorough, or fit for purpose.
Of course not. Most engineers are average Joe Bloggs who assume "well its been fine for 150ish years so if nothing jumps out" etc.
Plus, I am sure (hope I am wrong) that the 'powers that be' will not allow engineers sufficient time for a total thorough inspection. Imagine how much it would cost to THOROUGHLY inspect every dam we have in the uk:wacko:

Top Bottom