Whamageddon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
I think the novelty's kind of worn off and the game's lost a lot of its charm now that everybody is aware of it, including DJs. If people are deliberately playing it, not playing it, or even apologising for playing it then it defeats the point.

That said, I don't listen to the radio, don't go out, and avoid the shops this time of year so I tend to do quite well. The place I'm most likely to hear it is work and then it's only the last week or so before Christmas when they have music on.

I had never heard about it until this thread.

But I am a bit like you, though I do listen to the radio when I am driving and alone in the car, normally Radio 2.

I drove to work on the 1st of December though, and Radio2 decided that was the start of Christmas, so I may well have heard the Wham one then. I've certainly heard the pogues due to Shane McGowan's death.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Couldn't get a Sainsbury delivery slot before Xmas so I've popped into Morrisons on the way home from work and guess what's playing?

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
I'm still in... 👍

Me too, 3 years and counting. :hyper:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Close call this evening!!
Apparently, 'that song' is the Christmas No 1! I heard the tv person starting to talk about it and managed to close the bathroom door and set the shower going before the band struck up!

winjim

Smash the cistern
Close call this evening!!
Apparently, 'that song' is the Christmas No 1! I heard the tv person starting to talk about it and managed to close the bathroom door and set the shower going before the band struck up!

Blimey, I just looked at this week's chart and they really don't mean anything any more do they? Surprised that FONY is only at No6 and a bit annoyed that a silly internet game seems to have put LC at No1.

To save you the trouble of looking, other top 40 hits include:

No3 All I Want For Christmas Is You
No7 Rockin' Around The Christmas Tree
No9 It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas
No10 Merry Christmas Everyone
No12 It's The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year
No14 Jingle Bell Rock
No15 Do They Know It's Christmas?
No16 Let It Snow, Let It Snow, Let It Snow
No19 Step Into Christmas

And it carries on like that, all through the top 40. Paul McCartney, Slade, Wizzard etc. I'm glad that the X factor dominance of a decade or so ago has passed, but it seems like what finally did for it was streaming services and people listening to exactly the same old shite they've been listening to certainly since I was a kid, the last 40, 50, even 60 or more years.

Alex321

Veteran
Blimey, I just looked at this week's chart and they really don't mean anything any more do they? Surprised that FONY is only at No6 and a bit annoyed that a silly internet game seems to have put LC at No1.
<snip>

And it carries on like that, all through the top 40. Paul McCartney, Slade, Wizzard etc. I'm glad that the X factor dominance of a decade or so ago has passed, but it seems like what finally did for it was streaming services and people listening to exactly the same old shite they've been listening to certainly since I was a kid, the last 40, 50, even 60 or more years.

One could argue that is much MORE meaningful, rather than not meaning anything, since that shows what people actually choosing to listen to.

Top Bottom