What’s causing this click?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
A spoke is always 'under load'. Unless greviously loose it always remains in tension. You could tell whether a spoke is 'odd' by plucking the spokes in turn. They should all have roughly the same tone (higher tone (and tension obv) on the right side).
[Spec suggests it's a thru-axle, btw.]

OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

A spoke is always 'under load'. Unless greviously loose it always remains in tension. You could tell whether a spoke is 'odd' by plucking the spokes in turn. They should all have roughly the same tone (higher tone (and tension obv) on the right side).
[Spec suggests it's a thru-axle, btw.]
like I said I spun the wheel whilst holding the through axle with my hands and it doesn’t click that way

cheys03

Veteran
Bikes and their noises! always an interesting puzzle 😆

I could easily be barking up the wrong tree, the source of these clicks are difficult to locate even with the bike in person. To my ear it sounds that something in or around the hub is clicking and transmitting the sound outwards, along the spokes etc. the click sounds sharp, like a build up of pressure and then fast release of the pressure causing the click, ‘ping’.

I have to know what’s causing it! For my own curiosity, if you’d be so kind as to remove the wheel again and pay close attention to the wheel bearings, freehub bearings and cassette including lockring I’d appreciate it 😉
Try spinning the wheel so the bearings are turning, also turn the bearings over by hand on each side and really feeling and listening to them for any roughness. The wheel seems to spin easily enough in the bike so maybe the freehub warrants further ear time. If you have the tools to remove the cassette, do that too. Check the freehub is ok, not loose etc and for signs of a bent axle (wobbling cassette when the wheel is spun etc). Thank you 😊

OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

I just spoke with my LBS and let him see the video.

He suspects a wheel bearing issue.

I will have a feel of them tonight.

OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

Took the wheel off tonight,stripped off the hub and cassette.
The problem is indeed a bearing…..it is the outer Freehub bearing that is the problem. Rough as toast.
I‘ll drop the wheel off at LBS tomorrow for him to replace it.
I don’t have the tools to remove Freehub.

Dont you just love a happy ending :okay:

Top Bottom