What’s causing this click?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I notice you've got a sensor of some sort on the chain stay. Presumably there's a magnet on one of the spokes, which is maybe a little to close and making contact?

OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

Worked through the following on this.

1)Checked and tightened spokes (they all seem tight?
2) Greased where spokes cross.
3) sprayed spoke nipples with lube.
4) sprayed where spokes go into hub with lube.

Still exactly the same.

Only thing I can think is nipple is moving inside rim. I’m on tubeless so not wanting to remove etc. But I guess if I want it fixed it’s the next step…..

I’m guessing I’d need to put new rim tape etc on.

Also they are Giant PR2 rims, can anyone advise on a decent cost efficient upgrade would be to these without costing the same as the bike 😂 Disk brake With 12mm through bolts

Last edited:

Ajax Bay

Guru
Given the spokes are under reasonable tension, the nipples will NOT be "moving inside the rim".
The clicks I can hear are not at wheel rotation frequency.
If you remove the disc pads and refit the wheel. Is the click still there?
Remove the chain and spin the wheel> Click?
Have you cleaned and inspected the chain?
With the chain set up as normal, looking from the side in a middle of cassette sprocket, does the RD cage move forwards/back as the crank is turned?

OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

Given the spokes are under reasonable tension, the nipples will NOT be "moving inside the rim".
The clicks I can hear are not at wheel rotation frequency.
If you remove the disc pads and refit the wheel. Is the click still there?
Remove the chain and spin the wheel> Click?
Have you cleaned and inspected the chain?
With the chain set up as normal, looking from the side in a middle of cassette sprocket, does the RD cage move forwards/back as the crank is turned?
I will check all the above tomorrow, the click happens without the chain turning though, it is a new chain but has been on a few months I believe.

Thanks

Last edited:
OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

I will check all the above tomorrow

Thanks
Couldn’t resist, just removed pads and retried, still there. I’m convinced it’s from the spokes.

Should I get them tensioned and trued by LBS?

I notice a couple of nipples have been rounded by someone
previously, the thing is, it isn’t constant click,click,click….it can go away for 10 seconds and then go click……..click,click………………click,click,click

Last edited:
Sounds like a piece of plaster not metal. I'm going to guess someone removed the dork disk by cutting it out (rather than removing it with the cassette) and left a bit of plastic behind the cassette.

OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

Sounds like a piece of plaster not metal. I'm going to guess someone removed the dork disk by cutting it out (rather than removing it with the cassette) and left a bit of plastic behind the cassette.
Could be wrong but I don’t think they were fitted with these from factory.

Ajax Bay

Guru
So looks like not the brakes. Do not fixate on the spokes; please! It's irrational: if it was a spoke the click (whatever) frequency would be directly related to the wheel rpm.

OP
OP
fraz101

fraz101

So looks like not the brakes. Do not fixate on the spokes; please! It's irrational: if it was a spoke the click (whatever) frequency would be directly related to the wheel rpm.
Thanks. Not sure what else it could be or to try….

I would expect if it was a spoke to only do it when under load?

It is a very distinctive ping/click.

Ajax Bay

Guru
A spoke is always 'under load'. Unless greviously loose it always remains in tension. You could tell whether a spoke is 'odd' by plucking the spokes in turn. They should all have roughly the same tone (higher tone (and tension obv) on the right side)

cheys03

Veteran
Difficult for me to tell from the video - is it a quick release wheel? If so, when removed from the bike and spun, did you hold the wheel by the QR skewer or the axle? The thinking is holding by the the QR axle would not exercise the wheel and freehub bearings in the test

Lookrider

I'm no mechanic so please spare me
Could it be anything to do with the thru bolt ?
Just because you say the wheel was ok when removed ...so when the wheel is back in then the thru bolts back into the equation so may be the issue
Apologies if you already checked this as well

Top Bottom