What’s stopping women cycling?

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by Cycleops, 21 Jan 2018.

1. Cycleops

Cycleops Guru

2. Dave 123

Dave 123 Guru

I see a few lone women cycling round here on a weekend, not as many as blokes though.

Mrs Dave commutes alone from time to time but doesn't like the idea of a leisure ride alone for fear of mechanicals. Not sure why as I'm no bloody help!

3. RealLeeHimself

RealLeeHimself Just keep peddling, just keep peddling...

Everyone who wants to cycle should be able to do so without prejudice, abuse or patronising morons bothering them.

A cyclist is a person. It doesn’t matter if they are male or female, large or small.

4. Mo1959

Mo1959 Guru

Quite a decent amount around here but still much less than men. Most women that I have discussed cycling with say they would be too nervous on the roads as their reason.

i hate hills, classic33 and Cycleops like this.
  5. hoopdriver

hoopdriver Veteran

I read that story. Not sure I am totally buying it.

Especially the comments suggesting that aggressive behaviour by motorists is directed at them simply because they are women - or at least not the behaviour as described in the story (honking, shouts to get off the road etc). I'm a guy and I have certainly experienced that same sort of aggressive treatment from motorists and I think we have all, male or female, encountered fellow cyclists who are right prats, patronising and snobbish. Not everything needs to be viewed through the prism of victimhood, sexism and misogyny.

I did like the tips and advice for women cyclists from 1895 at the bottom of the story - especially the one suggesting that it was not ladylike to strike a match off the seat of your bloomers. The mind's eye boggles

Last edited: 21 Jan 2018
  6. AndyRM

AndyRM XOXO

There are two male cyclists on the street where we live, myself and John. There are at least 6 females.

The issue here is the way women are treated by men.

7. Dayvo

Dayvo Just passin' through

As mentioned above: patronising comments and attitudes from (some) men, and aggressive (mostly) male drivers.

pjd57 likes this.
  8. hoopdriver

hoopdriver Veteran

Tell that to Jeremy Vine

Blue Hills, Banjo, Slick and 2 others like this.
  9. Heltor Chasca

Heltor Chasca Out-Riding the Black Dog

The Audax club I belong to has about a 20% female membership. That’s pretty good in my eyes. In general I find people who like this sport (Audax) very tolerant, open, life experienced and intelligent.

None of this testosterone rich, chest puffing, men-squawking stuff goes on. That kind of behaviour just honks the klaxons with the message, ‘I’M INSECURE WITH MY OWN MASCULINITY!’

Tal, xzenonuk, ADarkDraconis and 2 others like this.
  10. TinyMyNewt

TinyMyNewt An execrable pun

My anecdotal experience is that women cyclists often can't get out to join a ride due to not being able to get childcare or being required to drop everything to look after grandchildren. I have never once known this to happen to a man.

Inertia, spen666 and Markymark like this.
  11. I think what would encourage more women is some advice from the men here who have a better understanding of the issues.

For example it’s probably to do with periods or something.

12. TinyMyNewt

It's also true that cycling isn't all that welcoming to women in many ways, as any woman without much knowledge who has gone into a bike shop wanting advice about what bike she needs will tell you. You do tend to get patronised, if you can get anyone to speak to you at all that is.

13. Drago

Drago Guru

To answer the question, I don't know. Mrs D loves cycling and has a Giant WTB mountain bike and a tidy little Pendleton road bike. Alas, her health is such that she can't always ride, and her eyesight is such that she lacks confidence and will only ride if I accompany her. With my own health issues keeping me out the saddle for 8 months that means she hasn't ridden either, but now I'm easing back into it Mrs D will probably do the same.

14. TinyMyNewt

Cycling when you've got your period can be problematic, yes. What solutions did you have in mind?

vickster and swansonj like this.
  15. CrinklyLion

CrinklyLion Guest

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice