What’s stopping women cycling?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I see a few lone women cycling round here on a weekend, not as many as blokes though.

Mrs Dave commutes alone from time to time but doesn't like the idea of a leisure ride alone for fear of mechanicals. Not sure why as I'm no bloody help!

hoopdriver

Guru
I read that story. Not sure I am totally buying it.

Especially the comments suggesting that aggressive behaviour by motorists is directed at them simply because they are women - or at least not the behaviour as described in the story (honking, shouts to get off the road etc). I'm a guy and I have certainly experienced that same sort of aggressive treatment from motorists and I think we have all, male or female, encountered fellow cyclists who are right prats, patronising and snobbish. Not everything needs to be viewed through the prism of victimhood, sexism and misogyny.

I did like the tips and advice for women cyclists from 1895 at the bottom of the story - especially the one suggesting that it was not ladylike to strike a match off the seat of your bloomers. The mind's eye boggles

Last edited:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
The Audax club I belong to has about a 20% female membership. That’s pretty good in my eyes. In general I find people who like this sport (Audax) very tolerant, open, life experienced and intelligent.

None of this testosterone rich, chest puffing, men-squawking stuff goes on. That kind of behaviour just honks the klaxons with the message, ‘I’M INSECURE WITH MY OWN MASCULINITY!’

Drago

Legendary Member
To answer the question, I don't know. Mrs D loves cycling and has a Giant WTB mountain bike and a tidy little Pendleton road bike. Alas, her health is such that she can't always ride, and her eyesight is such that she lacks confidence and will only ride if I accompany her. With my own health issues keeping me out the saddle for 8 months that means she hasn't ridden either, but now I'm easing back into it Mrs D will probably do the same.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
My anecdotal experience is that women cyclists often can't get out to join a ride due to not being able to get childcare or being required to drop everything to look after grandchildren. I have never once known this to happen to a man.

I present you with the exception to the rule. I am the main parent (80%) to my 2 daughters and I work full time. My day starts at 0630 and ends at 2130. They eat well, live in a clean house and always have laundered clothes and the grocery shopping is coordinated around their massive appetites. Neither have ever been late for school. Somehow they make it to running club and swimming lessons. I don’t have any other family so I can’t utilise the time of grandparents or aunts etc.

The other 20% of the time when the children visit their mother, I run a very slick diary to ensure I can get out on my bike. I am the envy of dental receptionists worldwide.

Both girls (nearly 9 and 16) have been told that when and if (because they have a choice) they have their own children, I will not be providing childcare services for their kids, because I’ll be off cycling round the world.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
It's also true that cycling isn't all that welcoming to women in many ways, as any woman without much knowledge who has gone into a bike shop wanting advice about what bike she needs will tell you. You do tend to get patronised, if you can get anyone to speak to you at all that is.

The Rutland cycles branch at Grafham is/was managed by a woman. She sold Mrs Dave her road bike. At the beginning she was also selling to me so I just started wandering round the shop so she just gave Jo her undivided attention. She wasn't patronised and was looked after very well.
Maybe bike shops need to employ more women?

BSOh

Über Member
It's also true that cycling isn't all that welcoming to women in many ways, as any woman without much knowledge who has gone into a bike shop wanting advice about what bike she needs will tell you. You do tend to get patronised, if you can get anyone to speak to you at all that is.

I went into a bike shop and asked for p clips once (wanted to fit a rack on awkward frame). He asked me if I was sure its p clips that I wanted. Yes reply I. He thought I should take my bike in, a 20 mile round trip, just in case I had gotten it wrong. Ffs :cursing:

I now buy parts online and fix stuff myself.

Top Bottom