What 20 and 26" tyres to change to from Marathon Plus?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Last time I looked there wasn't a UK dealer. ....how time flies!

OP
OP
andytheflyer
Was waiting for break in the black conveyor belt of torrential showers heading east across the Dee valley before going for a ride on the Defy.

Then the doorbell rang; my new Marathon Racers and a Var tyre tool had arrived. 10/10 to Spa Cycles.. So I thought I'd fit them. Put the front (wired bead) on a storage heater to warm up and fitted the folding rear 26". OK. Hard, but not impossible, even if the folds in the tyre kept trying to push the bead back off.

Broke the tyre lever part of the Var tool on the first use trying to get the 20" M+ off the front. Resorted to good 'ole steel levers. Fitted the new front with the aid of the Var - to lever the last bit of bead on. Yes, I know you're supposed to be able to do it with your fingers if you get all the bead into the rim well. No you can't. Even with velcro straps to keep the tyre in place. Managed all but the last couple of inches by hand and the Var popped the last bit on easily. Then grappled the Var tool back from under the bead. Just as hard. The Var, a Crank Bros lever and 2 steelies have gone into my saddle pack. Just in case.

Don't need to go for a ride now - just need a lie down for an hour or two.

I hope I never get a roadside p*ture.......

Will let you know what I think about the rolling characteristics compared to the M+ ones that came off. And will go back on when the hedge manglers return to their devil-worship in the autumn. Standby.

OP
OP
andytheflyer
Out for a breaking-in 18 miler before the rain arrives - again.

Too early to pontificate on rolling resistance, but definitely a smoother, more 'comfortable' ride than the M+ that came off. Didn't realise how 'harsh' and stiff the M+ are. Good so far.

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
I run Marathon Racers on the front of the Trice and if I get a flat I can swap a tube in a couple of mins. I never want to have to fix a rear puncture on the way to work though so it's a Marathon Plus. 5 years/25,000+ puncture free miles on those be-a-utiful Marathon Plus tyres!

The Raptobike has a Marathon Plus on the rear, and as its one of those weird 20 inch front wheels, I have to rely on a Durano.

OP
OP
andytheflyer
I run Marathon Racers on the front of the Trice and if I get a flat I can swap a tube in a couple of mins. I never want to have to fix a rear puncture on the way to work though so it's a Marathon Plus. 5 years/25,000+ puncture free miles on those be-a-utiful Marathon Plus tyres!

The Raptobike has a Marathon Plus on the rear, and as its one of those weird 20 inch front wheels, I have to rely on a Durano.

You can get M+ in 20" - because I bought one in November. Tricky to fit though!

byegad

Legendary Member
Broke the tyre lever part of the Var tool on the first use trying to get the 20" M+ off the front. Resorted to good 'ole steel levers. .

That sums up the problem I had with M+. Not only do they roll like you are riding through 1/4" of treacle but when they puncture, and they do*, you are stuffed if you can't get the beggars off the rim!

*Yes I know they are very good on the protection front, but when I got my last M+ puncture, as in I ditched the ruddy M+s when I got the bike home in the car, I could not get the 700C sized tyre off the rim at the roadside. At home I ended up with metal levers bending and resorted to cutting the bead on one to get it off. Replaced with Pasela Tourguards the bike was faster.

The ordinary Marathon is almost as puncture proof as the plus with none of the downsides. I run the plus on my Pashley Prospero and so far two flats, bad luck I know but at £30 each very annoying. Have yet to puncture a Marathon supreme or Big Apple. Had first ever twin blow out at 40mph on my Ice B2 which came with marathon racers..

BlackPanther

Hyper-Fast Recumbent Riding Member.
You can get M+ in 20" - because I bought one in November. Tricky to fit though!

I know, but my Rapto has the weird 451 rim, (I suspect a previous owner swapped it out for some unfathomable reason) whereas the Trice has the far more popular 406 size. You can get Marathon Plus in the 406, but I can't source a 451.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
That sums up the problem I had with M+. Not only do they roll like you are riding through 1/4" of treacle but when they puncture, and they do*, you are stuffed if you can't get the beggars off the rim!
Not completely because there's always http://www.edinburghbicycle.com/products/zefal-sealant-spray but I do feel people sometimes go straight for M+ without seeing if the much nicer Marathon Greenguard or one of the various Cruisers would work well enough.

byegad

Legendary Member
Totally agree, I use Big Apples on two of my trikes which are nearly as secure as M+, roll way better if you keep them near the 70psi max and I have removed and refitted one without a tyre lever! Normally I use two to get the tyre off the rim and one to put it back.

Bonifatius

I personally can recommend Specialized Hemisphere Armadillo Tyre. I did already about 4000 mi without any problems. This tyre have much better grip on the corners.

specialized-hemisphere-armadillo-tyre.jpg

Top Bottom